Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed today that my Recycle Bin was suddenly missing from my desktop. I think the problem occurred a long time ago but I don't use my desktop that often (because the new taskbar is amazing) so I didn't notice until I tried to delete something using the Recycle Bin.

Taskbar works. Security options (ctrl+alt+del) works. Right-clicking the desktop brings up the menu properly. I did notice the 'Align to Grid' and 'Auto Arrange' options, under View in the menu, are greyed out. I attached a pic to show you what I mean.

Also, I cannot left-click and drag to select multiple items. The dotted-line box that is suppose to outline the selection simply does not show. It's almost like my desktop has been disabled

Help

LL

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
download tune up utilies 2009 and get the 30 day free trial. somewhere on that program will fix the problem and get the icon back onto the desktop. look around in the utility for it. it might be under solving problems in wondows or common problems etc. get it and good luck. i have it and this option is availible to fix this problem along with many other tools like reg clean, defrag, reg defrag ect.

• Rep+
Reactions: flak4

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
here is evidence of the program being able to fix the problem. this is a screenshot of my laptop right now.
LL

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhsbrian View Post
You may have a virus.

Look in my sig and try running a few appz.

Other than that, not sure!
I agree that it sounds like a virus.

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
look at the highlighted section.

its a common problem, do as i told you then check into possible viruses but i dont think you have one, its just a error/corruption in the display of the operation system, very common and easy to fix, good luck

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Right Click Desktop -> Personilize -> Change Desktop Icons (Top Left Corner).

Then make sure the recycle bin is enabled.

That would do the same thing as Tune Up Utilies 2009 that BradleyW mentioned.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoki318 View Post
You try right Click and refresh? Won't hurt.
it worked...

Weird...I just turned on my computer too...

...........thanks

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
let me know if you decide to download this program and fix it. keep us posted. i dont think avg is strong enough to find anything that could cause a error like this, do a online virus scan with norton to be on the safe side and also after running tune up 09, do a scan on the HDrive, cheers for the rep!

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
nice one, you fixed it!

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
Can you say BETA ? You shouldnt even have winbloz 7, vista pownz it ,,,, what you want out of it, but a taskbar that covers one inch and theres less room to work,, lol
your lucky your files arent being erased,, this is why they came with the term BETA

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
so thats why you got this problem, i did not know what OS you have lol. anyway good luck and enjoy your computing.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweakboy View Post
Can you say BETA ? You shouldnt even have winbloz 7, vista pownz it ,,,, what you want out of it, but a taskbar that covers one inch and theres less room to work,, lol
your lucky your files arent being erased,, this is why they came with the term BETA
What?

I'm asking for community feedback on an impending issue. Not flames.

Keep out if you don't have something informative to say.

Quote:
so thats why you got this problem, i did not know what OS you have lol. anyway good luck and enjoy your computing.
Yeah saying which OS might have helped. Thanks

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweakboy View Post
Yes, it's a beta. However even the Pre-Alpha was stable. If you had actually used the 7 beta you'd know that it's perfectly stable and runs better then Vista in most cases.

Also, the task bar can be made to function and be the exact same size as the one in Vista.

Seriously, don't talk about something that you haven't even used.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flak4 View Post
it worked...

Weird...I just turned on my computer too...

...........thanks

HOLY ****. That's awesome. And kind of funny.

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
well never mind hey, we sorted it for you and your happy, thats the main thing.
wooohooo 1000 posts and 35 rep points!!! am happy too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts