Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·

29,532 Posts
For most people, perhaps. I use my phone as much as I use my desktop computer. I wouldn't be surprised if I used my phone more in the future.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Pffft, No. Maybe it'll be more common for web browsing, but gaming? Desktop PC's still have a very long time....

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
For me it won't, I barely use any mobile device, and given the options that there are, I won't for a loong loooooooong time.

Probably it will be a bigger market, but desktop computers are going nowhere in the next 15-20 years.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
I LAUGH at this idea. as i said in the other news thread:

"Google WANTS you to think desktops will be irrelevant in 3 years. so everyone can have netbooks and buy their crappy operating system.
"

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Misso View Post
Pffft, No. Maybe it'll be more common for web browsing, but gaming? Desktop PC's still have a very long time....
They weren't talking about gaming though. Moot point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by linkin93 View Post
I LAUGH at this idea. as i said in the other news thread:

"Google WANTS you to think desktops will be irrelevant in 3 years. so everyone can have netbooks and buy their crappy operating system.
"
Tell me, for the majority of users, who only use the internet for email and web browsing, whats the point in having anything more powerful than a netbook?

Supposing there was a need, then surely cloud computing would cover that need for most people, and given that IT and computing power is becoming a utility I.E. something that you can purchase on tap, rather than buy a fast but expensive system which is under utilized 95% of the time.

·
Banned
4,703 Posts
Yeah, Google would say that. They can't get into the desktop market with their OS, so they'll be pushing peopel towards Android and their ChromeOS.

Which is fine for them, but I'll never own a netbook ro similar without a full operating system. I'm a techy and I want a mobile computer, not web browser. I will not be doing most of my web browsing on a mobile phone which currently is incapable of performing the most simplest of tasks.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryten View Post
Yeah, Google would say that. They can't get into the desktop market with their OS, so they'll be pushing peopel towards Android and their ChromeOS.

Which is fine for them, but I'll never own a netbook ro similar without a full operating system. I'm a techy and I want a mobile computer, not web browser. I will not be doing most of my web browsing on a mobile phone which currently is incapable of performing the most simplest of tasks.
Over the years web browsers have evolved from an application capable handling displaying just text and some graphics to handling very rich content such as embedded video and flash content.

Google has an office suite which you can use in your web browser. As web browsers continue to evolve and handle a greater amount and greater level of content, then whats the need for any other application? If you can access what ever software you need through the web, then that alleviates the need to ever have to have any other piece of software on your computer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sorry, but it's already been posted...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.