·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone no a good way of desoldering and soldering back chips<br />
<br />
im an ok solderer but i need some new guns and something for desoldering<br />
<br />
my bios chip is updated wrong and its non socketed meaing i have to replace it with taking it off the board<br />
<br />
id rather try it because iv tried clearing the CMOS by taking out the battery and their are no CMOS clear switches<br />
<br />
a new board will cost $175<br />
<br />
id rather spend 20 bucks at radio shack and replace the chip myself<br />
<br />
anyone have any suggestions for desoldering and soldering chips<br />
<br />
<br />
thanx<br />
<br />
dan

·
Registered
365 Posts
I believe my AUSU mobo can still boot off the mobo driver CD when the bios is scrambled - try sticking your cd in and booting.

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
usually you can get a little suction thingy i forgot what its called then you heat the solder and click the thingy and it pulls that solder out, repeat until your all done, then puttingit back on well solder away<br />
<br />
i think the chips have to be programmed or something im not sure, i know there is a place on line that you can buy them allready programmed but i forgot what website had them , im sure a short search will give the answer

·
Registered
365 Posts
A "Solder Sucker" we call em, but you really don't want to be using a single tip and sucker on an eeprom chip. You can get long, flat tip soldering irons - or if you have a friend with a de-soldering station you're good.<br />
<br />
I assume you have an eeprom programmer to put freshly dl/d bios off the internet into the chip again. Sometimes I've struck it lucky just running a multimeter probe along the sides of the chip shorting all the pins - that can reset volatile memory if you've goosed the fsb or something like that up real bad - but I believe he said he put the wrong bios in - which I thought was a hard thing to do nowadays.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Try <a href="http://www.badflash.com/" target="_blank">http://www.badflash.com/</a> for EPROM chips

1 - 5 of 5 Posts