Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I've been trying to fix this for a very long time now, and I cannot for the life of me figure out, what the problem is!

I have no experience in this field, so I have a real hard time trying to fix it. Basically the XBMC subtitle addon for the OpenELEC fusion version does not work for me.

I've installed the addon, and when I play a movie, I click on the "subtitle" button, choose my subtitle, it loads it, but nothing happens. I can't even choose a different subtitle, so I have to stop the movie, and do it all again, but the same thing just happens again.

I really don't know what to do. The support from OpenELEC is practically non-existent at this point.

Hope someone can help me! I'm desperate.

Thanks for reading
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,040 Posts
I can't really blame OpenELEC for not supporting this because it's got very little to do with then. However some of the guys on there IRC channel might be more assistive.

I use XBMC a lot but not played with any subtitle add-ons aside the default one which requires either a subtitle included in the container file or a separate subtitle file (.sub IIRC). so all I can suggest isdownloading a subtitle file manually, including it with the video file, and see if that works. If not, make sure you have subtitles enabled (audio preferences, weirdly) and a font and display location set (possibly called 'OSD' rather than subtitles).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

I can't really blame OpenELEC for not supporting this because it's got very little to do with then. However some of the guys on there IRC channel might be more assistive.

I use XBMC a lot but not played with any subtitle add-ons aside the default one which requires either a subtitle included in the container file or a separate subtitle file (.sub IIRC). so all I can suggest isdownloading a subtitle file manually, including it with the video file, and see if that works. If not, make sure you have subtitles enabled (audio preferences, weirdly) and a font and display location set (possibly called 'OSD' rather than subtitles).
Yeah, I can't blame them either. Just got desperate, you know. It is the default one, I'm using, and it just doesn't want to load the subtitles. What's the point of having an automatic subtitle downloader, if you need to download the subtitles manually to the movie's folder anyway?

The funny thing is, it works on my desktop rig. It just doesn't work in OpenELEC :S
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,040 Posts
unless there's another default plug-in I'm unaware of, the default one doesn't download subtitles. It only plays whatever is available in the locations I mentioned earlier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

unless there's another default plug-in I'm unaware of, the default one doesn't download subtitles. It only plays whatever is available in the locations I mentioned earlier.
Oh, really? Didn't know that. Well, I had to download the addon through XBMC too though. It does download the subtitles for you and fixes it, so it plays along with the current movie playing. It's really great, but it doesn't work as of now :S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured it out!

None of the hard drives, that I stream from, had given my HTPC "write" permissions, so I couldn't "write" the downloaded sub-file. I also had some problems with an unknown user, which had ownership of certain folders. All fixed! PM me, if you have the same issue.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitePrQjser View Post

I figured it out!

None of the hard drives, that I stream from, had given my HTPC "write" permissions, so I couldn't "write" the downloaded sub-file. I also had some problems with an unknown user, which had ownership of certain folders. All fixed! PM me, if you have the same issue.
ahh good old UNIX permissions
smile.gif

I trust you didn't chmod -R 777?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

ahh good old UNIX permissions
smile.gif

I trust you didn't chmod -R 777?
Nah, it wasn't the Linux permissions but rather the "Everyone" user on the main rig (which the HTPC is streaming from). You see, the Everyone user was only allowed to read off the shared hard drives but not write, ergo the XBMC subtitle addon could not "write" the subtitle to the main movie folder since the HTPC was not allowed to do so.

The other thing with the uknown user was just because of an old installation, where the previous user was locked onto two of my hard drives, and I could only remove it by giving ownership of the drives to my current user. Then I could easily delete the uknown user, and now everything works so well!
biggrin.gif
- I'm kind of proud of myself since I never actually played with those things before.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top