Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before my current system build I had an SLI-DR that replaced my old Ultra-D that had died. After trying different things that people here suggested I never could get it to post. I finally threw in the towel and upgraded to my current system but that didn't fully fix my problems either. The 8800GT I had at the time that I was trying to make work with my SLI-DR didn't work with my current system either although according to the guy I talked to on the phone at EVGA today it passed their tests.

The 9800GT thats in my machine now "worked" for all of like 2 days but even it gave me problems before not displaying altogether.

I haven't reseated the card or checked the 6 pin PCI-E cable yet but I did try a different DVI cable as per suggestion from the guy at EVGA. He told me to get in contact with DFI to see if there are compatibility issues. He also suggested I ask them about the different numbers the LCD displays during POST and that even though it didn't beep, throw a code at me on the LCD and passed POST it still might be having an error that it isn't showing me.

I'm really at a loss and am just about ready to chuck this hunk of metal out my window and set it ablaze

·
Chackie Jan
3,226 Posts
Take out a stick of RAM. If it don't work, switch em around.

No, I'm not kidding. Though it may not be the problem in this case.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaniaci View Post
I had an issue I couldnt figure out for a week and it turned out to be my DVI cable, its very rare but it is possible.
I tried changing the DVI cable though and it didn't solve anything

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by K10 View Post
Take out a stick of RAM. If it don't work, switch em around.

No, I'm not kidding. Though it may not be the problem in this case.
I can give that a try but I don't think it'll do anything honestly. If it does I'd be pleasantly surprised

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just tried reseating the card and removing and replugging the 6 pin PCI-E power into it and still nothing. Also tried removing one ram chip and no change either with that.

I'm also trying to figure out why EVGA said that the 8800GT that I had passed with them but I couldn't get it to work for the life of me with either of the boards I tried it on.

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Try the other PCI Express x16 slot on the board. It could either be a bad pci express x16 slot, bad video card, or bad cable connection.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3
View Post

Try the other PCI Express x16 slot on the board. It could either be a bad pci express x16 slot, bad video card, or bad cable connection.

I believe I've done that already but I can give it a try again just to double check.

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Tbh it just sounds like a dead video card.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts