Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I believe it is time for me to hop on the DFI banwagon with the rest of you guys. I looked at the 50 dollar crossfire board on the egg and after reading the posts I decided that it wasn't the board for me. So I looked around on the egg and found this. Is this a good board for the money? I didn't see anything about DDR2 on all their boards, so I assume that they can run ddr2 as well as drr because I hope to upgrade to ddr2 one day. I think I will be able to round me up a PCI e card from my grandpa so that isn't a problem. Well I hope I get a quick reply! thanks guys this place is great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136164

Jacob

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
DDR2 will not work with s 939 or 754, only the new AM2 socket.

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
No, any socket 939 board wouldn't be able to use DDR2 ram, as the memory controller is in the CPU and 939 CPU only support DDR memory.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, i'm still thinking about getting the board, I think 2 gigs of good quality ddr400 will get me going good. So a lot of people have already upgraded to AM2??? dang that was quick. What about intel people, what do they use? So what do you guys think about the board I picked out? is there anything better? I deff want SLI for when I get a 2nd video card!

Jacob

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
intel people all use ddr2 by now. Also, I heard that the problem in th $50 crossfire board have been fixed by DFI and all the new boards are better.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The duke, I'll deff think about the boards you posted.

SirJohnMichalot, Ehhh if still a little iffy about that board, I will stick with the nvidia chipsets, I don't want to chance it!

thanks guys, now all that relies on me getting the board is if my grandpa will let me borrow his nvidia 6800 extreme! It did 220 fps in ATi tool at stock settings, while mine does 60
. Wish me luck in asking him!

Jacob

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
As long as you don't have TCCD RAM, the Expert is the best.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rcdriver0604 View Post
Can I get a WOOT? My grandpa said he would give it to me, just don't burn it up. I'm set for a new mobo! Will the board I linked to below be a good board?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136152

Jacob
Thats a very good mobo,be also sure to get some good ram (PC3700-PC4000)
if you are planning to overclock,because this mobo can do 300fsb+ and if you buy a Opty 165 you will be smiling

Miss my DFI.........

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the expert is 150 while the one I posted is much cheaper, what are the advantages of the expert. Ehh modding one to SLI, I think I will stick is SLI already boards
. I have $155, but I want to get a heatsink for the 6800 so the mobo and a heatsink will take care of my christmas money
. RAM is out of the question right now, all I can do is overclock the stuff I have. Reply soon!

Jacob

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Ive got the expert, and while I can say its one amazing board - you have to WANT IT, I mean I spent all of xmas eve, all of xmas day, then half the next day getting it set up (and the past 3 days now fixing stupid winblowz) and I STILL havent even THOUGHT about overclocking. - lol

But the DFI boards are amazing, I mean millions of setting in the BIOS, dozens of BIOS revisions to choose from, full control over all the voltages, HTT capable of x.5 multipliers, very entensive RAM timings, even space to save BIOS configs and you can use hotkeys on boot to change between different BIOS profiles.

So awesome, I cant wait `till I get to use it all XD

But the chipset fan on these boards are TERRIBLE. Mine is stupid loud, stupid fasst (7337rpm) and ******ed loud, you can hear it even over the dual 6600GT cards with their stupi dwhirring fans. Its killing my 'quiet' case, not even the antec p180 can dampen the sound of that little buzzing chipset fan
and its ugly too

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I think I may be able to find the expert somewhere for a cheaper price. Well I guess these boards aren't like my A8V, just plug in all the wires and go
, what is there to setup? Also, how would I go about telling if my RAM is compatable with the motherboard? I have 4 sticks of the RAM I linked to, I know it sucks
, but gives me 39 secs with a 1M super pie run, but I don't think I overclocked it as good as it could have been, and possibly I can make it faster with this new board!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Tab=0&NoMapp=0

Jacob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts