Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you want a SLI-D but can't afford it? The secret is that the Ultra series of boards is the same as the SLI series but the sli is disabled on those boards. I have uncovered a simple hardware modification that hardwires the motherboard into thinking it is an SLI motherboard. And since this is a direct hardware modification, any BIOS revisions cannot negate the effects this modification brings about. There is a mediocre level of risk to this modification, as, if you do it wrong, you can fry your board, but, if you do RMA it, the chance of them looking at the chipset is slim and you may get away with it.

There are a couple things you will need for this mod. It is very reminiscent of the "pencil trick" of the Athlon XP processors.

A pencil

Some circuit writer (can't find a link, but it's thin metal epoxy)

And an exacto knife.

Ok, here it goes. First, you (of course) need to remove the motherboard and eliminate any power to it (duh!). Remove the chipset cooler, and clean off the existing thermal paste/grease/adhesive. You will see this:

The ones outlined in red, as the photo says, are the ones we want to modify. We want to mask these off and eliminate the epoxy around them, then we need to bridge the gap first with the pencil, then with the circuit writer.

After applying the circuit writer, allow it ample drying time then replace your chipset cooler (after applying AS5 of course) and you're good to go. Put everything back together and boot up. It should say SLI and you're done. The only thing left to do is sit back and bask in the glory of your new sli ready board.

This trick would concievably work with any other motherboard with 2 pci-e slots but not sli, but i don't think there are many of those. Seriously, the hardest thing about this is finding an SLI bridge, but you can get one off ebay for a reasonable price. Happy modding.

(I wanted to make this a FAQ, but i'm new here and i don;t know how)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Rather old news. Thing is though, DFI won't sell you a SLI bridge, so you'll have to find that somehow...Also, the SLI power of the ultra-d is only about 80% of a true SLI board.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it's old, just didnt; see anything about it on this forum, thought i would share the wealth.

·
phenomenal swag
3,673 Posts
Look at FAQ section next time
. And yes, obtaining an SLI bridge is rather difficult, but you should be able to get one from Leadtek or some other company.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Actually, I believe there is a company that is now selling SLI-bridges...let me see if I can find it...

Nevermind. I did some research. It was a Leadtek SLI bridge, and was sold at newegg at one point, but I can't find it anywhere now, so I guess it was taken out of production.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by decimate

Look at FAQ section next time
. And yes, obtaining an SLI bridge is rather difficult, but you should be able to get one from Leadtek or some other company.

I did look, but i don;t know how to search the FAQ section. I'm relatively new here....lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts