Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day, time for my daily questions. Now, when I want to change the vcore on a lanparty nf3 250GB, what do I change. Couldn't find anything, and i didn't want to just start playing with voltages incase i burnt somethingn out.

Next question, can you flash the latest bios using a CDROM, since i don't have a floppy drive. Or how would I go about doing it.

thirdly, are the timings 2-3-3-6 alright?

and fourthly, what is the RTC memory timing and what is a good setting. is 12T alright?

and finally, damn.....i can't remember. oh well, this should keep you guys busy for now.

wait...it's coming back....OH! Ouch, that kinda hurt. Ne ways, how do I shut off the CPU throttling on the above motherboard. Cause when I disable it my comp won't boot, and it's at 50% right now.

Rep points available.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Ok the Vcore...

Right this is some werid stuff because its based on 2 things in the BIOS they are..

CPU VID
CPU VID Special

Below is a table which will help you work out what you need to change to get certain Vcore ratings.

For more info check out the full thread I made a while back...

http://www.overclock.net/showthread....ight=DFI+Guide

EDIT: I think in my above thread you will find info on the RAM aswell... I am just looking through my printed info.

• Rep+
Reactions: zokus

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
I dont know if you can flash with a CDROM but I used winflash, you can download it from the awardbios website.

This program lets you flash from windows, all you need is a new bios you want to flash and the little program installed. Flash, reboot, and walaa

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

I dont know if you can flash with a CDROM but I used winflash, you can download it from the awardbios website.

This program lets you flash from windows, all you need is a new bios you want to flash and the little program installed. Flash, reboot, and walaa

There should be a flashing tool on the drivers CD there was for me.. I think it was Winflash but not sure.

Works fine.

Oh the RCT are you sure its RCT cause I see tRC and a few others names like that but again its all covered in my above thread just scan through the pages since there are a few more details.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rep point for you, and rep point for you.
thx guys

• Rep+
Reactions: DeaDLocK

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

rep point for you, and rep point for you.
thx guys

Thats quite alright... Thx for the REPs.

That thread should help in quite a few areas it was the only info I used to work on my PC when I first set this one up.

Oh yeah the timings they are nice... Mine are rather loos at 3-4-4-8 but I am running 1:1 250MHz so the loose timings are not so bad.

If you find you can not get your FSB up and keep your RAM in 1:1 (Set on 200MHz in BIOS 1:1 actual speed) then you can loosen the timings with out to much or a performance hit... Proabley in the area or 1 or 2% but nothing to drastic or to worry about.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDLocK

Thats quite alright... Thx for the REPs.

That thread should help in quite a few areas it was the only info I used to work on my PC when I first set this one up.

Oh yeah the timings they are nice... Mine are rather loos at 3-4-4-8 but I am running 1:1 250MHz so the loose timings are not so bad.

If you find you can not get your FSB up and keep your RAM in 1:1 (Set on 200MHz in BIOS 1:1 actual speed) then you can loosen the timings with out to much or a performance hit... Proabley in the area or 1 or 2% but nothing to drastic or to worry about.

Deadlock you got some more reps going your way. I totally missed that DFI guide thread... Great work!!!

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

Deadlock you got some more reps going your way. I totally missed that DFI guide thread... Great work!!!

I was hoping it would get a sticky but it has not.

I will add it as a link in my sig so people who have or get the DFI can see from me where to look.

Thx aswell... Glad I could help but I was only passing on info from the great people like Oskar Wu who compiled all that wonderful info and hacked the BIOS.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now if only i could figure out how to get rid of that CPU throttleing. Maybe when i update bios?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I'ts been my own and a lot of other peoples' epxerience that nForce3 boards like Tras of 10, so I'm running 1.5-2-2-10 at 230FSB 1:1. A higher Tras usually has a big impact on how high you can clock the memory but a very minimal effect on performance, but like I said, a lot of people, myself included, have seen the best performance with Tras of 10.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

Now if only i could figure out how to get rid of that CPU throttleing. Maybe when i update bios?

Im working on finding the answer.. Im sure I have seen it and know it.

EDIT: Ok you need to have a modded BIOS for you to be able to turn off CPU Thermal Throttling.

In that case I recommend Oskar Wu's BIOS but there are a few to choose from and some may work better than others for different people/setups.

This is DFI Streets BIOS forum where you can find pretty much every modded BIOS for the DFI.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=20

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I'm not sure if that's the case, but since he has a NewCastle he has to have a CG. I haven't touched the CPU throttling because I haven't seen any adverse effects of it yet. I'm trying to get my memory to run CAS 1 right now actually, I've tried 250FSB, but it just won't do it stabley so I've pretty much given up and am shooting for uberly low timings now.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Refresh my memory, what is CG??

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
It's a revision code on Athlon 64 processors, there's DH7-CG and SH7-CG, the SH7-CG is newer, but both chips overclock real well. To my knowledge it has no literal translation, just a code they use.

Well, this is how it goes in order or oldest to newest
SH7-B3
SH7-C0
SH7-CG
DH7-CG
CH7-CG

It's just new revisions of the processor on which they improved things, most of which deal with the memory controler

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

It's a revision code on Athlon 64 processors, there's DH7-CG and SH7-CG, the SH7-CG is newer, but both chips overclock real well. To my knowledge it has no literal translation, just a code they use.

CG = Clocks Good

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

I'm not sure if that's the case, but since he has a NewCastle he has to have a CG. I haven't touched the CPU throttling because I haven't seen any adverse effects of it yet. I'm trying to get my memory to run CAS 1 right now actually, I've tried 250FSB, but it just won't do it stabley so I've pretty much given up and am shooting for uberly low timings now.

Turning it off helps with overclocking apparantley. Also turning off Nice-n-Quiet but I think thats the CG only option.

EDIT: Just to let you know I edited my answer above. Just incase you miss it.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I might have to try that, as of yet I can't get over 2.53 still.

Where would one get one of these BIOSs? I looked at DFI-Street, but they're all for NF2 boards

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I saw the edit, and I've turned off the nice n quiet, so i just got to flash my bios to turn off the throttle. thx peep, you guys are great.
btw, i have revision DH7-CG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts