Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I got myself an Opteron 148 from Newegg.

CACJE 0552 FPEW

There are a few issues I am having with the BIOS and RAM. First off, this RAM will not post with 2.5Cas. I just have to reset CMOS and then it posts back at stock. This leaves me in a pickle because I can't run the 1:1 I was hoping for when I got a chip with an 11x multi. Also, I can't get OCCT or Prime95 to run at any speed, even stock. Pi 32m runs fine at stock aswell as 3Ghz. I have to believe this has to something with the RAM? Or am I using a wrong BIOS (623/3 is what I am using now)? I know the chip is not causing the problems because it did the same thing with both of my Venice's. Thanks for the help, dudes

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
Try some basics first...

Reflash to 623-3 and use one stick in the orange slot.. test each module with the CPU on a lower multi say x9 and a Vcore of around 1.45-1.475.

Each module should run SPD or advertised ratings.. try Vdimm 2.75-2.8v, if they do not then the modules are at issue. You may find one is not happy and the other is... always RMA them in pairs.

PSU.. maybe when OCing... pending its ratings.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ncsa

Try some basics first...

Reflash to 623-3 and use one stick in the orange slot.. test each module with the CPU on a lower multi say x9 and a Vcore of around 1.45-1.475.

Each module should run SPD or advertised ratings.. try Vdimm 2.75-2.8v, if they do not then the modules are at issue. You may find one is not happy and the other is... always RMA them in pairs.

PSU.. maybe when OCing... pending its ratings.

Yeah, definitely do all that before buying a new PSU, I was just stating what I'm pretty sure the problem is.

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
BTW .... Use Memtest either from BIOS or CD rather than trying to boot the OS... just helps save your OS build

It will also show if there are errors .. and if these are consistant to one or more address'

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, niether of the sticks would run SPD timings.. I had put another stick of Value ram in and change the CAS to 2 before it would post! So does this mean it is a RAM issue? And can I RMA without the origional packaging?

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
What other modules do you have? Can they run CAS 2.5?

Just need to try other options .. but you said that these modules dod the same with the other CPU type. Can you try them in a different MB to be sure it is not the MB?

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right now I am on a 256MB stick of Kingston Value.. It is running 2.5-3-3-7 (SPD) just fine. Also, I tried the sticks in my Celeron rig and it wouldn't even POST..

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
So these are 2 x 512Mb TCCD modules? Sounds like you need to RMA if the MB is running 2.5 with the other module.

It could be they are labeled wrong and are NOT TCCD chips inside .. although G.Skill do not have spreaders what do the chips say - a pic will help.

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are TCCD, I have the version without heatspreaders. Now if I can just convince them to RMA if I don't have the original packaging..

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ncsa

They should ... lifetime warranty right!!

Yep! *crosses fingers*

I am gonna give them a ring or send an email right now. I hope I get the stuff with shiny silver headspreaders

BTW: You and Amped have been repped.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Im sure they will RMA them with out the packaging, just make sure they are packed well and in anti-static bags. I have RMA'ed alot of ram at work w/o the packaging.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCNerd

A few weeks ago, I got myself an Opteron 148 from Newegg.

CACJE 0552 FPEW

There are a few issues I am having with the BIOS and RAM. First off, this RAM will not post with 2.5Cas. I just have to reset CMOS and then it posts back at stock. This leaves me in a pickle because I can't run the 1:1 I was hoping for when I got a chip with an 11x multi. Also, I can't get OCCT or Prime95 to run at any speed, even stock. Pi 32m runs fine at stock aswell as 3Ghz. I have to believe this has to something with the RAM? Or am I using a wrong BIOS (623/3 is what I am using now)? I know the chip is not causing the problems because it did the same thing with both of my Venice's. Thanks for the help, dudes

If thats all thats runing with power supply then I don't its the issue sounds like ram problem, do as ncsa said elimanate all possiabilitys first.

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks alot guys!

Ncsa, what BIOS should I be using for this Opteron anyway? I think you are using the 702 BTA?

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
It depends on what modules are in use.... while I have tried BT's BIOS I have found with my 2nd rig setup that 623-3 is good for the TCCx in Orange and 623-2 for the BH in Yellow - be this Opteron or A64 CPUs.

It is a matter of testing to find what works with your setup... but start off with an offical BIOS first and then work other versions to be able to compare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCNerd

Thanks alot guys!

Ncsa, what BIOS should I be using for this Opteron anyway? I think you are using the 702 BTA?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts