Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't read anywhere if this 4-pin connector near the first PCI-e slot is MANDATORY for SLI-mode, and its REALLY pissing me off since its in a most inconvenient location. I can NOT get either of my floppy power cables to reach that far, so I must turn to making my own cable and/or connector, or finding an adapter (which would be preferred)

So I ask the overclocking community, have any of you had similar problems trying to stretch a stupid and stubborn floppy power connector (who even uses floppy disks anymore, lol - memtest is EMBEDDED into the BIOS for christsake) as I sit here cursing this DFI mobo I can't help but think what fun Im having EVEN when I yell at this thing. Best motherboard ever, stupid floppy power connector aside.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
That's why it pays to get the modular PSU's with longer connectors.

Don't you have an old PSU that you can cannibalize? Otherwise it's splicing time my friend.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ummm... I don't think a floppy power cable goes there.....
My friend had a connector like that and he had to use a special cable that came with his video card...but yours could always be different. Ask someone with the same mobo what they did.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
I know what your saying... just PITA no matter how you route it!
I went with the large 4 pin to floppy 4 pin, the thin wires mad for easier routing. Eventhough I don't run SLI I still have it there for if and when

Quote:

Originally Posted by AARDVARCUS View Post
Ummm... I don't think a floppy power cable goes there.....
DFI uses that to distribute stable power, and in some cases a HDD type 4 pin, a square 4 pin or an 8 pin in addition to the 24 pin connector.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It even says in the manual that you plug a '4-pin floppy power connector' into the motherboard for 'extra power'

Believe me I had to read it 12 times myself and keeping looking at the mobo while I was installing it into this case christmas eve. I was SURE I was drunk at the time... but lo and behold, the damn thing is floppy power connector, and it even has the little plastic shape the same as the back of a standard floppy, the flat rectangle with 2 tabbed areas near the ends...

EDIT: Duke, Ive got a small cable here from my PSU that has 2 floppy power connectors on the end, and one 4-pin standard molex connector on the other end, the problem is it is VERY short... so maybe just splice-and-go? Although I don't much trust my splicing abilities.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Arrrrgg matie, it be a floppy type cable power connector indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dryadsoul View Post
Yeah, not only is it a floppy, but APITA.
APITA, that it is but are we the only one that knows what that means

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ lol - the pirates be coming for my floppy-booty XD

Time to bust out the old PSU, some wire cutters, wire strippers, some beer, and holy hell its like 5am, maybe I shouldnt be playing with electrical connectors this early in the morning...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts