Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so I have a Pentium4 551 (200x17) in the mail, and mllrkllr88's "homebrew DICE pot" as well, and a GA-G31M-ES2L mATX motherboard which is bench-stable at a 430MHz bus with my Q8300 (so 7.310GHz max for the board with the 17x multi, theoretically.) there are many things I do not know, Such as proper insulation for one. I've seen the various guides and talk frequently with Gomeler from Pure (both reviewed for the same site) but insulation seems like a 'have to do it to know it' kind of thing- Im pretty sure mllrkllr88 is including some eraser with the pot.
basically:

1.) most common places to find DICE OR LN2. from Gomeler and looking at threads here i'm seeing
-DICE: fishing/bait shops, grocery stores, and DICE-specific dealers
-LN2: welding supply shops, compressed gas suppliers, and farmers for semen samples

2.) Tips on insulating? I'm using my main backup system board, but will never put the Q8300 below 15C because the board doesn't go much over 430MHz bus already and it's my only non-DELL 775 board that works. nail polish? vaseline? dense foam? paper towels? Rags? Insulation kit?

3.)Northbridge cooling -Im using an mATX board, and only concerned with 2D, so use integrated? I have a GT 240 GDDR5 I have absolutely no problem trashing because it will have to be pretty close to the NB, the stock NB heatsink is very short and I have a 35mm Soyo fan from a socket A board, should I use this fan or a larger 80/92mm fan blowing on it because it will be chilly because of residual cold from the LN2 or DICE (most likely DICE) the 35mm fan itself cools it pretty well at 430MHz bus, will NB temps even be a problem?

4.) optimum temp transfer BB's? I have hundreds of BBs I can use, Don't have much copper/material other than that as the extra sinks i have are all aluminum.

5.) acetone/iso alcohol use underage so everclear is out(and doubt is even available around here) ratio of liquid to DICE for a 2" ID copper pipe with cap, thin material compared to serious pots

misc: I know:
-Ceramique because of its thermal range (my Thermalright CF1 only goes to -40C before freezing) but I currently only have enough for 2 applications i think
-outside/in garage or well ventilated area
-Acetone is best, Higher % alcohol is good, i Have a bottle of 91% iso on my desk right now.
-find coldbug first (if applicable) by booting into windows at a solid clock and slowly bringing down temp until it crashes
-smaller chunks of DICE are best
- I plan to move the Thuban under a pot (possibly a F1EE) after several runs on 775

and finally, 28KB upload and 180KB down and no webcam so stream is out, sry. can record a decent 640x480 and upload at school though

thanks for reading and for any help!

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
1)It was a long drive for me to get dice here, could only find it at a dedicated dice supplier so I went with renting a dewar from a compressed gas company.
2) for insulating I've just been using eraser & armaflex, today painted up the mobo with clear nail polish just in case.
3)haven't gone as far as NB cooling, freezing the cpu should help keep it cooler than average.
4)depends if the bbs have good heat transfer or not I guess, I've never tried adding anything extra to the pot.
5) acetone would be best, 99% iso is more expensive here. But whatever you have is better than nothing & worth trying.

Coldbug for me is usually at boot, my 920 would coldbug at ~ -80° but once in windows I could slowly drop it to -168°, on a crash I would have to warm it up to boot again.
The p4 551 may not have a coldbug, my celly d 352 could boot at -150°.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I heard the Pentium4 chips can take LN2 without flinching and I know Phenom II's have been under helium

what about insulating the back of the board? how necessary is it? I have 5/8" dense packing foam, should I just set the board onto the foam on the bench? (bench is an old case i ripped the board tray and back panel off and made a bit more rigid) or would I need something else?

the goal for the back is to just make it so the warm air doesnt easily come in contact with the now-frigid PCB correct?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to drive an hour and a half to pick up DICE, how should I transport it?

also, Can a thermocouple just be put into the inside of the pot? or will the chilled alcohol/acetone destroy it

here is what I have:

I assume the green is only for the outside of the pot, where the Yellow is for inside?

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skier
View Post

Okay I heard the Pentium4 chips can take LN2 without flinching and I know Phenom II's have been under helium

what about insulating the back of the board? how necessary is it? I have 5/8" dense packing foam, should I just set the board onto the foam on the bench? (bench is an old case i ripped the board tray and back panel off and made a bit more rigid) or would I need something else?

the goal for the back is to just make it so the warm air doesnt easily come in contact with the now-frigid PCB correct?

Right, I use a piece of 1/2" armaflev about 5" x 5" under the backplate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skier
View Post

I have to drive an hour and a half to pick up DICE, how should I transport it?

A small cooler works great.

also, Can a thermocouple just be put into the inside of the pot? or will the chilled alcohol/acetone destroy it

here is what I have:

I assume the green is only for the outside of the pot, where the Yellow is for inside?

The one with the small metal piece on the end of green wire is for putting into a small hole drilled at the base of the pot, & the yellow part w/2 prongs would go into the meter.
You would probably use the other submersible probe, the metal 'ice pick' goes into the acetone/dice mix.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks that's what I figured (and I knew the Yellow piece went into the thermometer, I was referring to the yellow wire coming off the 'Ice Pick')

I called the DICE supplier and they said its $1.20/lb and to bring a cooler since I have to drive over an hour to get it home

should I close the cooler with the dice in it or leave it cracked open a bit? is it fine in just a standard plastic cooler with a closed lid (i would rather not have an explosion in my trunk)

Quote:

Store Dry Ice in an insulated container. The thicker the insulation, the slower it will sublimate. Do not store Dry Ice in a completely airtight container. The sublimation of Dry Ice to Carbon Dioxide gas will cause any airtight container to expand or possibly explode. Keep proper air ventilation wherever Dry Ice is stored. Do not store Dry Ice in unventilated rooms, cellars, autos or boat holds. The sublimated Carbon Dioxide gas will sink to low areas and replace oxygenated air. This could cause suffocation if breathed exclusively

annoying questions, but they're the 'once I know I'll never need to ask again and is very important' types of questions

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
It's OK to have the cooler lid on, there isn't a completely airtight seal.
Just don't want to completely fill every square inch & then tape it all up & stuff to make it air tight.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
guess I should get some pics up

the patient

screws but no bracket/mount

square formed by 775 mounting holes

...and wow that failed

solid chunk of copper, 500g-ish

this guy's a bit bigger, used a smaller spade bit and a jigsaw the first time

thought this just turned out to to be a sick photo

yay no cracking, much better execution

possibly redo-ing the insulation but it is currently stuck on from either glue or just from a previous session, either way it won't come off clean, or easily

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Now if you want to make a more permanent better mount, check out HDPE. I bought some 1/2" stick stuff from amazon.

It's what K|ngp|n uses to make his. It's cheap too.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
nobody mentioned ice cream shops to get dice thats where I get mine. try to find ice cream wholesale type shops. Dice is used quite a bit in the food industry, and depending on what part of the country your in ln2 too.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reggiesanchez
View Post

nobody mentioned ice cream shops to get dice thats where I get mine. try to find ice cream wholesale type shops. Dice is used quite a bit in the food industry, and depending on what part of the country your in ln2 too.

I get mine at a ice cream wholesale to, and meijers, not all meijers have it tho.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts