Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since going from a single core Celeron D, to a beastly Dualy, Ive noticed HUGE temp increases even with my Big Typhoon and AS5. So I desided to do a lap job on the CPU and the heat sink. Anyways when I first put the system together I went from 24c idle and 35c load, to 49c idle and 60 load. And you know what the weird part is, when I started to overclock just a tad(keeping a close eye on temps) the temps never realy changed untill I got up to 3.5 then just the idle upped to 52-53c but still didnt go past 60c under full load. When I shut the system down from running all day it was idleing at 54c.
Well to save alot of typing, I dont have a water setup yet so I got out the glass, some sand paper, and spent 2 hours sanding and checking, and sanding and checking and...................... The heat sink was pretty wavy, but so was the CPU. I got them pretty darn smooth and was happy with the surface. It dropped my Idle temps down to 45c and load right around 55c. Not to bad for a little sanding.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Intresting you lapped your ES processor. i have lapped a 1.7GHz willy before.. The temps were good, though the hard part is making shure you did it evenly and left no humps.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowza

Intresting you lapped your ES processor. i have lapped a 1.7GHz willy before.. The temps were good, though the hard part is making shure you did it evenly and left no humps.

Yup I know, but I wanted to see if it would do anything for the temps and it did. I dont plan on getting rid of it so no worries I know what it is and Ive got the original Pic to prove it LOL.
Also the CPU and heat sink are strait edged, with no humps, dips or droops. The glass and a steady hand make it real easy. I didnt use super fine sand paper, just 600grit.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeoliver

Yup I know, but I wanted to see if it would do anything for the temps and it did. I dont plan on getting rid of it so no worries I know what it is and Ive got the original Pic to prove it LOL.
Also the CPU and heat sink are strait edged, with no humps, dips or droops. The glass and a steady hand make it real easy. I didnt use super fine sand paper, just 600grit.

you only went to 600 grit? i did that like 3 days ago... and im waiting to get some finer grit... 1200,2000...ect in the mail... then im taking it all apart again and doin it all over again... looks good though man

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

you only went to 600 grit? i did that like 3 days ago... and im waiting to get some finer grit... 1200,2000...ect in the mail... then im taking it all apart again and doin it all over again... looks good though man

Yeah its all I had at the moment. Ill be picking up a stack of paper from an auto store this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts