Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and to overclocking, sorry if ask banal questions.

My setup is i9-11900K liquid cooled, motherboard AsRock Z590M Phantom Gaming.
Problem:
My CPU won't boost anymore over 3.6GHz. (for a while was boosting to 4.0GHz)
After some seconds will drop to 2.5GHz (or even 1.3GHz)
Without overclock it was reaching 4.8GHz when all cores.

First time I did overclock, I managed to get my CPU up to 5.1GHz all cores.
Good temps but sometimes my PC would turn off itself. When not under load.
I did the overclock with a mix of BIOS and Intel XTU.

I then decided to reset everything and do the overclock again.
I could not get the same speeds. I tried changing TB max wattage in XTU again but it glitched.

Since then, no matter the setting in the BIOS, an aida64 stress test would crash my system.
I did reset the CMOS.
When reset to default the system does not crash but boost speeds are never over 4.GHz.
Now even I change setting, nothing seems to change. Except RAM.
XTU always shows "xtu current/edp limit throttling"
I tried to uninstall and install it again but this time it BSOD'ed my PC...

Could you tell which is more likely to have failed?
Below the config.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Sorry for the long post.
Font Material property Technology Screenshot Design
Font Software Screenshot Technology Multimedia
Font Screenshot Technology Software Multimedia

·
Madonion.com
339 Posts
I'm pretty busy right now but you need to input all the voltages manually. Your VCCIN is way too high at 1.45V, try 1.15V. From what I see you're using fixed voltage on CPU but the frequency is all over the place. Try fixed frequency at 5.0Ghz (disable speedstep, velocity, turbo, EIST, C-States), increase power limits too.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,870 Posts
I would start XTU, reset it to default, then close and uninstall it. Then reflash your bios. Everything should be clear then to start over from scratch. Sometimes XTU does the unexpected if you use old profiles over different bios settings, or sometimes if it crashes. XTU is fine to use, but keep XTU profiles from different bios settings off of your current one. I've even had my bios get weird from this but a reflash always cleared the slate.

After everything is back to normal you will hopefully get expected behaviors again. Also your 5.3 Ghz target speeds look very high for AVX512. You could start lower and work up to where it goes.

• Rep+
Reactions: amost_ and LXP-F

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty busy right now but you need to input all the voltages manually. Your VCCIN is way too high at 1.45V, try 1.15V. From what I see you're using fixed voltage on CPU but the frequency is all over the place. Try fixed frequency at 5.0Ghz (disable speedstep, velocity, turbo, EIST, C-States), increase power limits too.
Thank you, I did set all cores to 5.0Ghz but I get that speed for a few second only.
Then after 50s it reverts back to 4.0Ghz
Throttlestop shows PL1 as a power limit now. I thought I set the bios for unlimited current though...
How can I circumvent this limit?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would start XTU, reset it to default, then close and uninstall it. Then reflash your bios. Everything should be clear then to start over from scratch. Sometimes XTU does the unexpected if you use old profiles over different bios settings, or sometimes if it crashes. XTU is fine to use, but keep XTU profiles from different bios settings off of your current one. I've even had my bios get weird from this but a reflash always cleared the slate.

After everything is back to normal you will hopefully get expected behaviors again. Also your 5.3 Ghz target speeds look very high for AVX512. You could start lower and work up to where it goes.
Thank you, I did a BIOS re-flash and CMOS reset.
Also after uninstalling XTU I noticed the folder in Programs was still there and removed it as well.
Looks like I can get up to 5.0GHz without crashing but after 50s it goes down to 4Ghz again.
Throttlestop says it's PL1 limit but I am not sure how to deal with it.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you can try using either one, don't use both. It can cause conflicts which im pretty sure you experienced here. I tend to just use Bios for overclocking, its much more stable from experience and just works alot better. Software based can be very finnicky.

• Rep+
Reactions: amost_
1 - 7 of 7 Posts