Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Intel i7-960 in an MSI Big Bang! motherboard. After years of keeping it stock, I decided to get a little more push out of it... so I used the OC Genie button (I just clicked it and turned on the PC). The PC booted into Windows 7 64-bit just fine, but my G15 keyboard started turning on and off and on and off really rapidly, to the point of being unusable. I tried it in another USB slot... nope, same problem. Oddly enough, my USB mouse was working at this point.

Not happy with this behavior, I quickly turned off the computer and reset default BIOS settings for everything. Now my PC boots Windows 7 very very very slowly (I'm on a SSD with virtually no start-up programs) and my mouse AND keyboard are doing the on/off behavior. After waiting 15 minutes to get into Windows, I try to play Battlefield 4, and what happens? Aside from my two USB devices turning on and off rapidly, my RAM access and CPU power level seem to freeze (with the game freezing completely for several seconds at a time) every 15 seconds. I know the RAM access and CPU level freeze because of the LED lights on my PC (I have the Ballistix Tracer RAM etc.)

I have tried completely turning the PC off, default CMOS settings, everything...

frown.gif

·
Registered
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernRex View Post

I have an Intel i7-960 in an MSI Big Bang! motherboard. After years of keeping it stock, I decided to get a little more push out of it... so I used the OC Genie button (I just clicked it and turned on the PC). The PC booted into Windows 7 64-bit just fine, but my G15 keyboard started turning on and off and on and off really rapidly, to the point of being unusable. I tried it in another USB slot... nope, same problem. Oddly enough, my USB mouse was working at this point.

Not happy with this behavior, I quickly turned off the computer and reset default BIOS settings for everything. Now my PC boots Windows 7 very very very slowly (I'm on a SSD with virtually no start-up programs) and my mouse AND keyboard are doing the on/off behavior. After waiting 15 minutes to get into Windows, I try to play Battlefield 4, and what happens? Aside from my two USB devices turning on and off rapidly, my RAM access and CPU power level seem to freeze (with the game freezing completely for several seconds at a time) every 15 seconds. I know the RAM access and CPU level freeze because of the LED lights on my PC (I have the Ballistix Tracer RAM etc.)

I have tried completely turning the PC off, default CMOS settings, everything...

frown.gif
Try changing the base clock to a lower speed. Sometime a higher base clock can mess with USB and RAM.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
this isn't very helpful, but when your computer was having problems and reset your bios, why load such an intensive game like bf4?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by f0rteOC View Post

Try changing the base clock to a lower speed. Sometime a higher base clock can mess with USB and RAM.
OK, I'll give this a shot and report back. I'll take a slower clock speed vs a dead PC lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMI4tth3w View Post

this isn't very helpful, but when your computer was having problems and reset your bios, why load such an intensive game like bf4?
Because BF4 seems to be what instantly creates the behavior. (Like right now, the keyboard and mouse are not resetting at all, and have behaved fine for about 30 minutes now.) I guess a real stability test makes more sense... but I was just going on the "this reproduces it" logic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently I fried my G15 Keyboard. After purchasing a G510s (wallet says ouch) and hooking it up, as well as turning off some of the weird power save features in BIOS...

Computer works perfect. BattleField 4 works perfect. No resetting peripherals. No idea how the G15 took out the other USB stuff with it, but everything seems to be working now. Do you guys think maybe OC Genie put too much power through the G15's wire (via QPI or whatever?) or is that not possible?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
No there shouldn't be any change in USB voltage at all they run on a standard voltage. I'm sure some motherboards have USB fuses. Not really sure how that would happen unless you had a power surge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts