Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Watercooler
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Sapphire Dual-x 7950 today to crossfire with my MSI TFIII 7950. They are both boost cards and the clocks were jumping when gaming which was affecting the performance so I decided to flash the BIOS's to non boost bios of the same card. I did the non-boost MSI 7950 and the non-boost Sapphire 7950. I followed this guide ( http://www.overclock.net/t/1353325/tutorial-atiwinflash-how-to-flash-the-bios-of-your-ati-cards ) SPOT ON. My MSI card is in the x16 lane (TOP) (so I figure that is card "0") and my Sapphire is in the 8x lane (BOTTOM) (so that should be card "1", right?) Both cards are set to BIOS 1. I went to flash the MSI (atiwinflash -f -p 0 MSINoBoost7950.rom) and it fails a quarter of the way through ("atiwinflash has encountered an error windows is searching for a solution"). Ok, that was wierd. So lets try the Sapphire. atiwinflash -f -p 0 SapphireNoBoost7950.rom. It finishes and asks me if I want to restart. I say yes. Restart is fine and I go into windows and it is saying that there is no AMD drivers installed or they arent working correctly. Directx 9 doesnt initialize correctly. Did I flash the Sapphire BIOS onto the MSI card or something? I open afterburner and none of my cards are recognized. I shutdown and flick the MSI BIOS switch to "2" and I blue screen trying to log into windows. I set them both to 2 and it logs in but still driver error, catalyst wont launch, nothing. I'm scared to even try to flash the original BIOS back because now I'm not sure if the MSI is really card "0" while the Sapphire is card "1".

PLEASE HELP I'M ABOUT TO FREAK OUT

·
Registered
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavageTheEarth View Post

I just got my Sapphire Dual-x 7950 today to crossfire with my MSI TFIII 7950. They are both boost cards and the clocks were jumping when gaming which was affecting the performance so I decided to flash the BIOS's to non boost bios of the same card. I did the non-boost MSI 7950 and the non-boost Sapphire 7950. I followed this guide ( http://www.overclock.net/t/1353325/tutorial-atiwinflash-how-to-flash-the-bios-of-your-ati-cards ) SPOT ON. My MSI card is in the x16 lane (TOP) (so I figure that is card "0") and my Sapphire is in the 8x lane (BOTTOM) (so that should be card "1", right?) Both cards are set to BIOS 1. I went to flash the MSI (atiwinflash -f -p 0 MSINoBoost7950.rom) and it fails a quarter of the way through ("atiwinflash has encountered an error windows is searching for a solution"). Ok, that was wierd. So lets try the Sapphire. atiwinflash -f -p 0 SapphireNoBoost7950.rom. It finishes and asks me if I want to restart. I say yes. Restart is fine and I go into windows and it is saying that there is no AMD drivers installed or they arent working correctly. Directx 9 doesnt initialize correctly. Did I flash the Sapphire BIOS onto the MSI card or something? I open afterburner and none of my cards are recognized. I shutdown and flick the MSI BIOS switch to "2" and I blue screen trying to log into windows. I set them both to 2 and it logs in but still driver error, catalyst wont launch, nothing. I'm scared to even try to flash the original BIOS back because now I'm not sure if the MSI is really card "0" while the Sapphire is card "1".

PLEASE HELP I'M ABOUT TO FREAK OUT
Oh man.
I hope the experts chime in here quick.

I mention this-While flashing seems to be de riguer I can't bring myself to it for this very reason.
I've managed to make 2 diff boost cards(Sapphire/MSI) work together by
1:de-syncronise in MSI AB
2:both cards on bios switch 2
3:use TRIXX to disable ULPS
Lets help this guy!

·
Premium Member
11,034 Posts
you might have to ask some of the experts on these forums like tsm106, sonda5 . sonda5 does a lot of BIOS flashing and experimentation . send him a PM

http://www.overclock.net/u/107389/sonda5

also if you had just maxed out power control to +20% on both cards I don't think the clocks would have fluctuated. flashing the BIOS is not a good idea. but i hope you get help and are able to sort out this problem. good luck.

·
Watercooler
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did have the power control to 20%. Clocks still fluctuated. Ok so I took the MSI out and the Sapphire works on bios 2, but wont display a picture on 1 (monitor stays on stand by). I had to re-install the drivers to get the card to work. I booted with 2 and on the desktop I switched to 1 and flashed the old bios. It said there was success and I rebooted when it asked me too. Still won't display a picture on bios 1. Swapped the MSI and 1 and 2 work fine. Just a side note, I can't flash either one of the BIOS's on the MSI. Why is this? Lets see what happens when I crossfire the Sapphire on BIOS 2 and the MSI on BIOS 2. I knew something would go wrong with this. Just my luck... I really appreciate the interest in helping me guys. I have invested 2 grand into this computer and this really just sucks.

·
Watercooler
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So is there anything I can do about the Sapphire? If worst comes to worst can I RMA it?

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavageTheEarth View Post

So is there anything I can do about the Sapphire? If worst comes to worst can I RMA it?
You may have to flash in pure dos, not winflash.

I don't think the bios switch change takes affect until a restart, so it's likely you reflashed bios 2.

As long as the bricked bios doesn't have an msi written to it you should be able to rma it with no problems.

·
Premium Member
11,034 Posts
flash a sapphire BIOS to sapphire card and msi bios to msi card. that might help. also as suggested above the DOS mode flash is generally what the experts follow. for help as i suggested PM sonda5 or tsm106.

·
Watercooler
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm pretty sure I only flashed the BIOS 1. I just ran Unigine Valley and recieved a score of 3000 which is 1200 better than my single gpu. So I dont think I actually broke anything. Can someone link me to a good DOS flash tutorial just so I can try to get the first BIOS back to stock. I just really dont want to RMA I payed $35 for shipping to get it so fast it would be a bummer to just send it back.

·
Registered
109 Posts
No offense to anyone on here, but there is really some poor information going around. Flashing your GPU bios is fine. BUT you need to do a heck of a lot more reading, gather your information before doing so. Do all your backups, have a "crash plan" in place. Your cards SHOULD have a dual bios, and if so it is pretty easy to recover a borked flash. But you want to know these things 100% before proceeding.

Based on your first post, it does sound like you flashed the Sapphire Bios onto your MSI card. Which may or may not work. Also, don't use AtiWINFlash. Not saying it is a bad program, but I always suggest flashing outside of windows.

Here is a good Tutorial on ATIFlash (DOSBoot)

http://www.overclock.net/t/640063/unofficial-how-to-flash-ati-cards

I will attach the DosBoot files as they are missing from that link.

So a quick tutorial of ATIflash.

After you booted from the USB Key you would do:

atiflash -i

This will show you the info on your cards and which card is "0" and which is "1"

then:

atiflash -f -p 0 NewBiosName.rom (of course the "NewBiosName" being whatever your bios is named)

It can take a minute or so to start the flashing process so just let it go.

To flash your "bottom" card it would be the same as above but a 1 instead of a 0

Now when you reboot, Windows/ATI Drivers will probably tell you there is no card installed/can't find the card etc.... This is fine. By flashing a new bios onto the card Windows is seeing it as a brand new display adapter. Since you already have CCC/ATI Drivers installed, they will install the "new" video card, and you just need to reboot. While you can test with these drivers, to try to get rid of your fluctuating clocks. I do recommend wiping/re-installing the ATI drivers once you're happy with the bios's you're using.

To recover your bios, if it went bad. Boot into Dos/ATIFlash on the good bios (Let's say "Bios 1" is bricked), so set it to Bios 2 while booting into ATIFlash. Once you are at C:\ prompt, flip the switch over to Bios 1. Be careful, your computer is on, use a q-tip or something if you are nervous about touching anything else other than the switch. After you have switched over to Bios 1 you can proceed to flash.

I will keep monitoring this thread if you need more help.

win98boot.zip 669k .zip file

ATIFlash 561k .zip file

Attachments

·
Watercooler
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was supposed to use AtiWinFlash on a usb drive? I did it from one of my data SSD's. Is that why things went wrong?

BTW I did get both cards running with no more jumps in the cores. I would still like to try to get back my first BIOS on the Sapphire card though. As long as I don't risk destroying it.

@ LukeJoseph Thank you for all your help I'm running some benches right now. Just got my score up to 3300 in Unigine Valley and in Metro 2033 I am getting around 80-120 fps on very high with 4x AA and it didnt skip a beat. I will read your whole message in a little bit just know that it is much appreciated.

@raghu78 I know you are shaking your head right now saying, "hey, I told him not to flash his BIOS" hahaha Dont deny it! I know thats what your saying to yourself. But hey, a wise man once told me that you learn by making mistakes.

Thanks guys I will keep everyone updated and feel free to post any more ideas, comments, criticism, whatever. I can take it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do want to let you know (in reference to your other thread, but like I said I will just stick with this one lol), you can probably leave one of the cards as "boost". And have that your primary.

I have ran into no issues having the primary card as a "boost" card. It was always the slave/secondary card that would fluctuate. I still think it has very little to do with voltage and everything to do with crossfire. But that is just a theory based on all the bios's/swaps/programs I have been messing with in the past 2 weeks
smile.gif

·
Registered
109 Posts
No, ATIFlash is NOT ATIWinFlash. ATIFlash is dos based. If you follow my instructions about the recovery, you should be good.

And if you can do Valley 1.0 for a solid 20 minutes with no fluctuations you should be rocking! What did you end up doing?

·
Watercooler
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not going to be flashing anything until tomorrow. I just want to have some time to play :) I have been running Valley for 40mins at 1150/1250 and I just stopped it and my temps on the hottest card didn't get above 63c (including VRM) and I didn't get any artifacts or anything to suggest that the OC wasn't stable. Thats good!!! Received a score of 3500.

Oh yea and I decided that I am going to keep the cards both boost editions. I just want to get them back to the way they were since everything is fine now and I stopped the clocks from fluctuating.

·
Watercooler
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes. Partly to the OC. I also stopped using AB. I increased power control on both cards to 20% in CCC, disabled ULPS in Trixx, and applied my OC using Trixx. Now everything is fine. What a stressful night haha. I'm at 1150/1575 now. Didn't think I would get this high without touching the voltage.Now to do some more stability testing. So suprised it running this cool!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts