Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I installed this RAM into my motherboard which previously had some Samsung B-die in there at 1.62V. I ran the RAM in the BIOS like this for maybe 5-7 minutes before realizing (RAM voltage is at bottom, need to scroll there). Anyway. It has two XMP profiles, 1 and 2. I think 1 is something like 4000 19-23-23 at 1.35V and 2 is 3600 17-21-21 at 1.35V (both 1.35V)

I have my CPU's SA and IO voltages set to run 3900MHz RAM at 14-15-15. (my CPU's maximum supported RAM speed without errors is 3900MHz, at any SA/IO voltage).

When go to load XMP Profile 2 for 3600MHz 17-21-21, the system won't POST, it returns an error, telling me to go into the BIOS and change settings.

Obviously this is after I lowered RAM voltage. I set it to 1.42V. Profile 2 is only supposed to require 1.35, and there should be wiggle room on top of that - I'd expect it to require no more than 1.32V... did I fry the RAM? It doesn't look like great RAM, but if I can only run it at 2400MHz from now on... my 3700x is going to hate me

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Pattern

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK. With XMP 2 and 1.42V manually selecting 2500MHz worked (up from 2400). 2533 didn't work, neither did 2600 or 2666. Or 2700 or 3200 (timings all set to auto).

I'm going to try lowering the DIMM voltage to 1.35 to see if maybe the extra 0.07V is screwing with the RAM in some way. This is really unfortunate :( :(

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. But you might've corrupted the BIOS, which needs a reflash.
Damn. I was trying to never do that because my board was one of the last manufactured, and shipped with the second (maybe third now), newest BIOS. There were a couple dozen versions, so...

Anyway, I lowered voltage from 1.42 to 1.35, and still the maximum speed is 2500. Is this behaviour still in line with your suspicion - a corrupted BIOS?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Damn. I was trying to never do that because my board was one of the last manufactured, and shipped with the second (maybe third now), newest BIOS. There were a couple dozen versions, so...

Anyway, I lowered voltage from 1.42 to 1.35, and still the maximum speed is 2500. Is this behaviour still in line with your suspicion - a corrupted BIOS?
Yes. I've corrupted the BIOS more times than I can count on one hand. If a config that was perfectly stable before suddenly isn't anymore, it's almost always the BIOS or OS being corrupted. And in your case, since you can't even boot, it's likely the former.

Can't you just go to the manufacturer's website and download the BIOS to reflash?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. I've corrupted the BIOS more times than I can count on one hand. If a config that was perfectly stable before suddenly isn't anymore, it's almost always the BIOS or OS being corrupted. And in your case, since you can't even boot, it's likely the former.

Can't you just go to the manufacturer's website and download the BIOS to reflash?
Oh, no. I can boot.

I think I'm having OS problems though. Too many configuration changes and hardware swaps. I'm going to reload Windows on this PC soon, and try this RAM with the 3700x (they're probably going to end up together). If when I put my B-die back into my z390 motherboard, everything works fine, I'll be foregoing a BIOS reflash.

I have a feeling the RAM is completely fine though. 1.42V wouldn't do 2533 while 1.35 would do 2500? Definitely some kind of configuration problem

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Oh, no. I can boot.

I think I'm having OS problems though. Too many configuration changes and hardware swaps. I'm going to reload Windows on this PC soon, and try this RAM with the 3700x (they're probably going to end up together). If when I put my B-die back into my z390 motherboard, everything works fine, I'll be foregoing a BIOS reflash.

I have a feeling the RAM is completely fine though. 1.42V wouldn't do 2533 while 1.35 would do 2500? Definitely some kind of configuration problem
DISM and SFC is generally enough for the OS. Reinstalling drivers for the GPU and any other components that aren't Microsoft-specific.
There isn't really any indication given when the BIOS is corrupt. It just causes the RAM to exhibit odd behaviour.

Just look around for what your BIOS version is, and redownload it and reflash it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
DISM and SFC is generally enough for the OS. Reinstalling drivers for the GPU and any other components that aren't Microsoft-specific.
There isn't really any indication given when the BIOS is corrupt. It just causes the RAM to exhibit odd behaviour.

Just look around for what your BIOS version is, and redownload it and reflash it.
I stuck my fave sticks back in for 3900 14-15-15-30-45-240-2T. All I had to do (besides stick the sticks), was load OC profile 2 and then "save and restart" -> Ok.

Now I'm back to full performance and stability. As far as I can tell anyway.

I try to minimize BIOS flashes to only when they're necessary - like a new feature I want is introduced. In severe cases, security enhancements. Reason being, an (in retrospect unnecessary) update to my last motherboard's BIOS eventually led to an electrical fault being created within, breaking it. Power button -> loud hum -> red lights on board (never showed up before) -> then never a peep again. Because my 9th gen board broke a couple months after the 12th gen was released, I had to settle for a mid instead of upper tier board. It's not a bad board, but it wouldn't have been my first choice. I really liked some of the more comprehensive power monitoring the Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro WiFi ITX. And its optical S/PDIF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts