Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put together a really cheap budget build to give to someone and I let Microsoft office installing. It was really late and fell asleep. The next day I see the computer off and I take out the ram because I was going to replace a 4gb stick with 2x2GB I had planned for that build. All the sudden the computer powers on when I accidentally pressed the mouse. It just happens the computer was in Sleep Mode
frown.gif


Now it won't post or get any video output. I unplugged everything and even took out ram and there is no beeping sound. Did I fry the motherboard and RAM and maybe something else?
 

·
My claws fix anything
Joined
·
3,246 Posts
I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing this before. I actually have no idea what will happen if try to swap the ram while the computer is sleeping, and then is powered on.

I know that generally the ram is full of the state of the OS when it is asleep (thats generally the difference between sleep and hibernate, sleep goes to ram, hibernate goes to the hyberfile on the hard drive). So in general I'd say that I'd never expect the machine to come back from sleep correctly. I just don't know if doing so would actually physically damage the machine.

If you're not posting, thats a big deal. Are you sure your mobo has an actual speaker? many of them don't now days, so its worth checking to know if you're just not hearing them, or if they're not happening at all.

Sorry man, that sucks
frown.gif
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Sorry about that. When you said you cleared the CMOS, did you use the Jumper or take out the battery? I would suggest taking out the battery and leaving it out for a while (30 min+) just to make sure it gets cleared. I have had it where I take out the battery for 10 seconds and my problem still exists for some reason.

Also, if you take out all of your ram your computer won't post. Try placing a single ram into a slot that wasn't being used before. (One that you didn't pull out while the computer was on) and try starting it.
Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post

I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing this before. I actually have no idea what will happen if try to swap the ram while the computer is sleeping, and then is powered on.

I know that generally the ram is full of the state of the OS when it is asleep (thats generally the difference between sleep and hibernate, sleep goes to ram, hibernate goes to the hyberfile on the hard drive). So in general I'd say that I'd never expect the machine to come back from sleep correctly. I just don't know if doing so would actually physically damage the machine.

If you're not posting, thats a big deal. Are you sure your mobo has an actual speaker? many of them don't now days, so its worth checking to know if you're just not hearing them, or if they're not happening at all.

Sorry man, that sucks
frown.gif
.
I'll check about the speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post

Sorry about that. When you said you cleared the CMOS, did you use the Jumper or take out the battery? I would suggest taking out the battery and leaving it out for a while (30 min+) just to make sure it gets cleared. I have had it where I take out the battery for 10 seconds and my problem still exists for some reason.

Also, if you take out all of your ram your computer won't post. Try placing a single ram into a slot that wasn't being used before. (One that you didn't pull out while the computer was on) and try starting it.
Good Luck
I took out the battery for a few mins not 30 mins though. Also there is a jumper for clear time memory for the bios which I also tried. The motherboard is an asus 5a78l-m lx plus and has 2 ram slots. When it was in sleep mode it had only 1x4GB which I pulled out and then put 2x2GB then the computer started running after I accidentally pressed a key in the keyboard while moving it. Nothing displayed. I tried using different ram configurations and nothing.

I read somewhere in google that due to all the electricity running to the RAM slots can cause ram and motherboard getting fried when you remove a stick while the computer is on. Arrrg this sucks... I guess this is the last time I do something when I'm sleepy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,454 Posts
So class, what have we learned?

Always unplug your computer when you are messing around inside it.
thumb.gif


First, run through the clear CMOS process again, which should go something like this:
1. Switch the jumper to the 2nd and 3rd pins (as opposed to the 1st and 2nd) and power up the computer. It may or may not post with the jumper moved.
2. Turn the computer back off and move the jumper back to 1st and 2nd pins.
alternatively
3. Remove the CMOS battery, unplug the power supply from the wall and hold the power button in for 10 seconds. This will surely clear the CMOS.

Finally, if that all doesnt work, I would try re-building the computer. Take out the mobo, even re-seat the CPU. Be sure your mobo stand-offs are tight and the mobo screws are tight as well. This gives you a chance to re-seat EVERYTHING, ruling out shorts etc.

If it still doesnt post... yea, you prob fried the mobo. Got another to try?

Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardonthejob View Post

So class, what have we learned?

Always unplug your computer when you are messing around inside it.
thumb.gif


First, run through the clear CMOS process again, which should go something like this:
1. Switch the jumper to the 2nd and 3rd pins (as opposed to the 1st and 2nd) and power up the computer. It may or may not post with the jumper moved.
2. Turn the computer back off and move the jumper back to 1st and 2nd pins.
alternatively
3. Remove the CMOS battery, unplug the power supply from the wall and hold the power button in for 10 seconds. This will surely clear the CMOS.

Finally, if that all doesnt work, I would try re-building the computer. Take out the mobo, even re-seat the CPU. Be sure your mobo stand-offs are tight and the mobo screws are tight as well. This gives you a chance to re-seat EVERYTHING, ruling out shorts etc.

If it still doesnt post... yea, you prob fried the mobo. Got another to try?

Good Luck!
I kind of tried that already, except taking out the CPU and putting it back again. I have a friends motherboard I will try to put cpu and ram on. Motherboard still has warranty though. But yeah I was so tired and sleepy that I forgot I left something installing and computer might have been in sleep mode
frown.gif
the next day when I swapped RAM.

I will try the other mobo or take out cpu and put it back on Friday probably.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top