Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new motherboard and CPU a few months ago--A64 3200+ and Asus K8V. All worked well, so I overclocked it 10% to 2.2 Ghz. After leaving it at that for a while, I read a bit more about overclocking, so decided to see how high I could take it.

I got Clockgen and found that it said I couldn't step my CPU voltage beyond the 1.550 it was at, but I saw an option to set that voltage higher in the BIOS. I had downclocked back to the stock 2.0 Ghz already, just in case, and proceeded to set the voltage to 1.6 volts. Then it made a funny noise and turned off.

I've trying leaving it off and clearing the CMOS, with no results. The motherboard is getting power fine, and the power supply seems to work, but whenever I turn it on, the power light blinks, and that's all. It seems that something is wrong with the CPU, but I don't have any idea what. So, is the CPU completely dead or is there some way that I can fix this?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When it made the "funny noise" had you saved and rebooted yet?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ndkchk

I got a new motherboard and CPU a few months ago--A64 3200+ and Asus K8V. All worked well, so I overclocked it 10% to 2.2 Ghz. After leaving it at that for a while, I read a bit more about overclocking, so decided to see how high I could take it.

I got Clockgen and found that it said I couldn't step my CPU voltage beyond the 1.550 it was at, but I saw an option to set that voltage higher in the BIOS. I had downclocked back to the stock 2.0 Ghz already, just in case, and proceeded to set the voltage to 1.6 volts. Then it made a funny noise and turned off.

I've trying leaving it off and clearing the CMOS, with no results. The motherboard is getting power fine, and the power supply seems to work, but whenever I turn it on, the power light blinks, and that's all. It seems that something is wrong with the CPU, but I don't have any idea what. So, is the CPU completely dead or is there some way that I can fix this?

Thanks for any help.

try taking out the battery on your motherboard to set the BIOS back to default

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Plug your speakers into the audio out on the moterboard and the voice post should tell you what's wrong. It seems very unlikely that 1.6volts killed your chip, especially right on boot up.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yeah id say that 1.6 couldnt hurt it but def pull the battery and reset the cmos jumper for 20 seconds with the psu off. Then replace it all and reboot. Y where you upping the Vcore anyway.... I think you just want to increase the FSB untill it becomes unstable. then try a lil more vcore.. Less AMD has someting going i dont know anything about (which is much more likely)

·
Registered
698 Posts
yeah plug your speakers in and listen to the voice post. 1.6 volts wouldnt have killed your chip. Of course you could have gotten a defective chip from the factory where it wouldnt take more vcore, in which case your up a creek

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ndkchk

Thanks for any help.

Do you rember what the voltage setting in the bios said? Are you sure is was for the processor?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, voltage in the BIOS was certainly 1.6, and it was for the processor, I'm sure about that. Also, as I have no sound card, only onboard, the speakers are in that all the time, and no sound whatsoever has come out of them. I didn't see how taking the battery out would be any different from just resetting with the jumpers as I did, but I tried it without any change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.