Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a q6600 the other day and installed it. It's running 2 cores 2 threads and 4mb cache!? I got it off ebay and item was described fully functioning with 4 cores and 8mb cache...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hm..how do i clear cmos? In the bios all is correct. But it is running @ 1.8ghz and 200 mhz fsb which was the default for my e3200 i had in before i installed it. e3200 was - 1mb l2 - 2 cores 2 threads.

How do i clear cmos on a msi g31tm-p21?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Type msconfig in the search bar, and launch it. Then go to Boot, Advanced Options. If it looks like this picture, uncheck the number of processors box, then ok, then apply, and reboot. Then check CPUz again.

It's worth a try!

• Rep+
Reactions: Despair

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
It's also down clocked. It should be 266 FSB, not 200. The 6x multiplier is due to Speedstep and C1E, so that's fine.

What OS are you running? If its XP, then it would be easier to reinstall it. If its Vista or 7, you should be able to use the msconfig tweak above, and reset CMOS to default.

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
That CPU is either four cores, or not working at all. I'm almost positive it's impossible for the Q6600 to only have two functional cores.

Run MSConfig, go to Boot Tab, go to Advanced Options, and see if Number of Processors are checked. If not check it, so it says 4 Processors.

Also is your BIOS up to date? Go into bios and make sure its identifying your CPU correctly.

Sounds like the MSConfig issue though. I'm guessing you went from a Dual Core CPU to the Q6600, which causes this.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it was the msconfig, I forgot i enabled 2 core boot for my e3200 everything is fine now...i think i put it back @ 2.4ghz

thanks
biggrin.gif

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despair View Post

it was the msconfig, I forgot i enabled 2 core boot for my e3200 everything is fine now...i think i put it back @ 2.4ghz
thanks
biggrin.gif
There's no advantage in setting the amount of cores on boot if I remember correctly. I was almost positive that it uses ALL unless you set it to use less via boot.ini/msconfig.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That problem is out of the way, but why do i keep getting random lag spikes? In games and in windows, it'll randomly lag for some reason

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Quote:

thanks
biggrin.gif
Good to hear!
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Quote:

That problem is out of the way, but why do i keep getting random lag spikes? In games and in windows, it'll randomly lag for some reason
Depends. It's really hard to tell when all we know about your machine is the CPU. Could be a driver, could be an overheating issue, could be a whole number of things.....

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxis View Post

i replaced my CPU and was required to update my bios. is there an update for your bios out??
Worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasteR View Post

That CPU is either four cores, or not working at all. I'm almost positive it's impossible for the Q6600 to only have two functional cores.

Run MSConfig, go to Boot Tab, go to Advanced Options, and see if Number of Processors are checked. If not check it, so it says 4 Processors.

Also is your BIOS up to date? Go into bios and make sure its identifying your CPU correctly.

Sounds like the MSConfig issue though. I'm guessing you went from a Dual Core CPU to the Q6600, which causes this.
Actually no, under the Q6600 Heatsink there are two Dual Core CPU dies that are linked to make a Quad, its not a ture qaud core die, im almost sure you could kill one die on it.

To the OP, I would try clearing, and updating the BIOS first, if the motherboard is a pre quad core motherboard you may need a bios update to enable the other cores. What motherboard are you using that will help greatly in assisting you.

·
PC Evangelist
47,496 Posts
Its the bios most likely.

·
New to OCN? Yeah, nah
4,231 Posts
[Reinstall the CPU in the device manager and then restart.

Edit: Otherwise, a BIOS update should fix it

Edit 2: Clarification- I meant: Uninstall your CPU in the device manager and then restart your computer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:

Reinstall your OS to eliminate accumulate software failures ?

Check your temperatures in Coretemp ? (or whatever you prefer)

Do you operate windows/games on an SSD drive? if not it will help greatly...

Some lag spikes can be caused by insufficient Vram on video card

Some games appear to function better by disabling core parking on certain systems (BF3), whereas some games function better with it enabled (The Witcher 2)

How to create simple.reg key to disable core parking in Windows 7

EDIT; Doh lol
tongue.gif

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
***....85c idle @ stock with intel heatsink?! What?! no wonder it was lag spiking

i fixed the core problem already thanks to tom

1 - 20 of 31 Posts