Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1TB drive that I pulled out of my computer to put into another computer to transfer some data. As expected, Windows didn't recognize the HD so I go into Disk Management to find that it isn't allocated and instead of being able to activate the disk, the only option I have is to put a new partition on it. I pull the drive out and put it back on the original computer and the same thing happened.

What happened here? Can I still access the stuff on the drive without the need to repartition and reformat the drive?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I don't think you've lost all your data.

You might need some program to get back your data out if it doesn't read like from any computer.

Leave your computer off for a while and then power it on with the storage hard drive.

edit: Does the BIOS read the hard drive correctly?

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlasov_581
View Post

hmm....did the swap corrupt the mbr?

Sounds like it might.. When you swapped was it the sole drive in the swapped pc or was it hooked up as slave?

That of course, duh (I'm tired), if it's IDE but most likely it's SATA

Maybe the boot order is off and it's trying to read another disk?

Sorry, I'll quit rambling and shuddup!

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is SATA. How would I fix the MBR? I tried putting a new volume on to see if it would activate the drive and maybe I could see the files again, but it just wants me to format the drive.

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetos316 View Post
It is SATA. How would I fix the MBR? I tried putting a new volume on to see if it would activate the drive and maybe I could see the files again, but it just wants me to format the drive.
Well if you put a new "volume?" on as in partition table then your now worse than you were originally IMO.

You first make a partition table then you format. The MBR is the sectors on the disc that allow the CPU and OS to boot the OS on the disc. You can have a fully established partition as well format but just the MBR is corrupt and booting into a Windows repair disc might give you the option of repairing it.

You may also try booting up a LIVE CD, such as Ultimate Boot CD, and testing the drive for corruption however if you've made a new partition it will be now harder to get the data that might have been there; if you get my drift.

Been working with PC's and HDD's since the RLL/MFM days (those are controller types) and used to have these problems what seemed like daily however today's toolsets give you everything you need to recover if you just stop and slow down.

Like the old carpenter's adage, measure twice; cut once.

• Rep+
Reactions: Cheetos316

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The HD is a data drive, I should stick in a Windows CD and boot from the CD to fix the MBR of the data drive?

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Quote:

The HD is a data drive, I should stick in a Windows CD and boot from the CD to fix the MBR of the data drive?
OH wait.. It's a pure data drive as in it was never an OS bootable drive?

In that case then it not booting was ~exactly~ what it was supposed to do

Unless you format with the option to make it bootable (add a MBR) -or- make it bootable after your format it will never boot.

This being a non boot drive to begin with there is no MBR there so if you want to make it one you'll have to use a tool such as a LIVE CD with tools, but in Vista you should be able to just run a DOS prompt at the recovery options or in XP boot into the recovery console and there will be command line utils to create/fix the MBR of the drive.

Let me scrounge up some details on the command line options of both Vista and XP if I can before falling asleep.. lol 2:11 am already /yawn

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Boot from the CD and choose repair for MBR.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has never had an OS installed on it before. I pulled it from my machine and put it into another that already had another HD with OS on it.

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Yea exactly however with NO previously installed OS (he stated it was a data drive) he won't have anything to boot once he does create or repair the MBR

He's going to have to fix/create the MBR and then install an OS -WITHOUT- doing a partition and format. Just select the partition and select LEAVE AS IS (or whatever)

In XP boot to the Recovery Console and once there you should be able to do a

FIXBOOT

and/or

FIXMBR

In Vista it's the same commands, just different options to get to the recovery portions of the OS.

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Quote:

It has never had an OS installed on it before. I pulled it from my machine and put it into another that already had another HD with OS on it.
Yea mate, sorry.. I don't think you want to do what we've been going at here..

You really DO NOT need a MBR on a secondary drive on the 2nd PC.

If you were putting a pure secondary data drive from a primary data drive where both had other drives with the installed OS then it should have had no issues. You ONLY need a MBR and Bootable flag if your going to use the drive as the primary device and boot/install an OS on to it.

Sorry.. I would check BIOS settings because if it didn't recognize it in the version of Windows you had and then on the new PC you tried to install something might be wrong with the drive

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ictinike View Post
Yea exactly however with NO previously installed OS (he stated it was a data drive) he won't have anything to boot once he does create or repair the MBR

He's going to have to fix/create the MBR and then install an OS -WITHOUT- doing a partition and format. Just select the partition and select LEAVE AS IS (or whatever)

In XP boot to the Recovery Console and once there you should be able to do a

FIXBOOT

and/or

FIXMBR

In Vista it's the same commands, just different options to get to the recovery portions of the OS.
I'm not sure with Vista since I have yet to get a problem with Vista to have the need to go there.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In both machines, the Disk Management recognized the disk, but labeled it as unallocated and the only thing it allows me to do is to put a new partition on it. It seems to have somehow lost the original partition with all of my data on it.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
You shouldnt do anything more to it then. You have to use some software to get it off. I know error10 is very good with these stuff. Try not to do anything more to overwrite it. Maybe you can see if error10 can help you. Only program I know is Acronis but I never used it myself.

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
I would still try finding a repair tool that might recover the old partition and data.

As long as you don't re-partition or format the data is still there; hell, even AFTER you do that it's really still there just not accessable until you write over the sectors with new data.

There was a thread here about HDD repair utils and especially RAID stripes but I can't seem to find nor remember it's location..

Oh and that brings up a question.. no RAID on this drive right? It was never part of a RAID array?

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No RAID. Just straight up data drive. Was a new drive, so there shouldn't even be any old data on there.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Just don't connect the drive yet until you can try some more stuff. If you can, try to ask error10.

If you can keep it like that, then you might be able to have all your data or most of it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts