Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I wanted to get a evga 750w g2 originally but it was out of stock so I ordered a XFX XTR 750W. But when i received it i discovered that it only 4 pcie/CPU 8 pin cable slots. I'll be using two of those to power the motherboard (it uses one 8 pin and one 4 pin)so this only leaves two 8 pin slots.

My goal was to get a powersupply powerful enough to make a SLI setup, but will I bottlenecked one of the GPU if I use a y splitter to power two of the 6pin slots? I was planning to ge two 970 in SLI. Should I exchange against the evga g2?

How much of a mistake did I made by not getting the g2?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam60I View Post

Hi,

I wanted to get a evga 750w g2 originally but it was out of stock so I ordered a XFX XTR 750W. But when i received it i discovered that it only 4 pcie/CPU 8 pin cable slots. I'll be using two of those to power the motherboard (it uses one 8 pin and one 4 pin)so this only leaves two 8 pin slots.

My goal was to get a powersupply powerful enough to make a SLI setup, but will I bottlenecked one of the GPU if I use a y splitter to power two of the 6pin slots? I was planning to ge two 970 in SLI. Should I exchange against the evga g2?

How much of a mistake did I made by not getting the g2?
the xfx isn't a bad psu but the G2 is better imo, the XFX XTR is a Seasonic G-series. also I don't use those splitters.
I had a friend use one with 2 GTX 570's and 1 of the splitters melted on him during heavy gaming and killed one of the graphics cards.
I would wait for the EVGA G2 to come be back in stock and buy one.
the XFX is good but like I said I don't trust splitters, but if you do then the XFX really dosen't have any faults.
here is a review on it.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/03/06/xfx_xtr_750w_power_supply_review/1#.VJECjdJ0ycw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

the xfx isn't a bad psu but the G2 is better imo, the XFX XTR is a Seasonic G-series. also I don't use those splitters.
I had a friend use one with 2 GTX 570's and 1 of the splitters melted on him during heavy gaming and killed one of the graphics cards.
I would wait for the EVGA G2 to come be back in stock and buy one.
the XFX is good but like I said I don't trust splitters, but if you do then the XFX really dosen't have any faults.
here is a review on it.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/03/06/xfx_xtr_750w_power_supply_review/1#.VJECjdJ0ycw
Damn it. If I Rma it I'll have to pay restocking fees. Why would splitters melt?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam60I View Post

Damn it. If I Rma it I'll have to pay restocking fees. Why would splitters melt?
I don't know why they would melt as I don't and will not use them.
besides my friends melting I have read about 2 others having same issue with splitters in the last year,
so the odds of yours melting are slim.
my friend was even using the one that came with his gpu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam60I View Post

Damn it. If I Rma it I'll have to pay restocking fees. Why would splitters melt?
Do not use a splitter. Each PCIe connector (6 pin / 6 + 2 pin) is only meant to deliver a certain amount of power, so if you have 2 cards pulling from one connector, you're just asking for trouble.

I would suggest you return the XFX and get a PSU that has all the necessary connectors and cables you need.
 

·
Senior OCN Member
Joined
·
40,947 Posts
XFX XTR 750 watts has 6x 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors which is more then enough.
There is no need to use 2 cables for one card or use the same cable for both cards, there are more then enough connectors to have one cable with dual connectors per card pluged in.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Sam60I

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

XFX XTR 750 watts has 6x 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors which is more then enough.
There is no need to use 2 cables for one card or use the same cable for both cards, there are more then enough connectors to have one cable with dual connectors per card pluged in.
They're tons of cables but now here to plus them in.



They are only four slots to plug all the cables for the CPU power and GPU. I'll have no choice to use a splitter at some point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam60I View Post

They're tons of cables but now here to plus them in.



They are only four slots to plug all the cables for the CPU power and GPU. I'll have no choice to use a splitter at some point.
I see in that picture 1 port for the 24pin mobo, 1 port for the 4+4pin CPU plug and 4 ports for GPU 6+2 plugs. Am I missing something about your requirements?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanVXL View Post

I see in that picture 1 port for the 24pin mobo, 1 port for the 4+4pin CPU plug and 4 ports for GPU 6+2 plugs. Am I missing something about your requirements?
from what I gather reading his post the other day he needs one 8 pin and one for pin just for the motherboard.

this is from his original post ;
motherboard (it uses one 8 pin and one 4 pin)

this EVGA X99 board has a optional 2nd 8 pin to the left of the first 8 pin, the 2nd one has a label on a cover that says optional


and this Z97 EVGA
 

·
Senior OCN Member
Joined
·
40,947 Posts
I already told him in a PM he sent me that he does not need to use both the 8 pin and the 4 pin.
The 4 pin is only needed if you are trying to reach super high OC levels or have a 4 way video card setup or that kind of thing where you need extra power.

Again you DONT NEED the 8 pin AND the 4 pin at once.

From what i can see there is no problem everything he needs is there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

I already told him in a PM he sent me that he does not need to use both the 8 pin and the 4 pin.
The 4 pin is only needed if you are trying to reach super high OC levels or have a 4 way video card setup or that kind of thing where you need extra power.

Again you DONT NEED the 8 pin AND the 4 pin at once.

From what i can see there is no problem everything he needs is there.
thats what I thought also since it does say optional, even older EVGA X58 boards had a 2nd 4 pin power port that was only needed if you had 4 gpu's running.
and he say's he is only running 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your help guys. Added rep to everyone who answered.

I understood that I don't need that extra 4pin, but even so, I'd still miss a port.

The 24pin is split in two port. There's a 18pin and a 10pin. I think you guys misstook that for a 8 pin. This only only leaves 3 8pin port. I would need one more to be able to plug everything without using splitters. But I still don't understand why the cables would melt. Does anyone have something to back up that?

 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top