Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm here lol
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this for its sheer capacity:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178748

I also have two 4TB drives in my pc at the time one was just a backup of everything on the first drive but i only have like 100Gb free so I bought this thing but copying my stuff is taking forever
(lol 3.5TB) apparently its an archive drive? idk what that means most of my games will be run from this and my music and video's and stuff

anyone else have this kind of drive?

·
Registered
634 Posts
This is an SMR (shingled magnetic recording) drive meaning the storage density is increased by overlapping writes... which means if it needs to rewrite an area it would have to copy off adjacent layers of existing data before it can write the new data. So it needs to perform garbage collection in the background, and if you write too much to it at once the write speed will slow down. Leave the computer on for a few days and as the garbage collection is done write speeds should return to normal.

·
Registered
288 Posts
SMR for anything other than archive library is bad idea.

In general SMR is just big CD-RW kind of HDD. Very not recommended for normal use. For cold backup solutions or for movie libraries where you dump thousands of files at once and never move them OK, but never for every day work. SMR HDDs are not typical hard drives per se.

It's in the name. Archive does not equal NAS or RAID or anything like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts