Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a custom mini mini itx computer just now and I think I shorted my computer.

My case is pure aluminum with no paint and I passed some current through the case accidentally. What I worry about is the motherboard frying since its on metal standoffs right on the case.

Since the motherboard standoffs don't touch any of the circuitry of the motherboard itself, and since I'm not sure how well insulated the pcb is, is it still possible to have fried my system?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Most likely no. Assuming you have the PSU in the case, screwed in and plugged into the wall, all the metal parts in the case are most likely connected to ground (there are a few exceptions depending on case construction). The motherboard standoff holes are plated and connected to the motherboard DC ground. This is then connected to the case ground through the screws adn connected to the PSU earth ground through the PSU screws. The board is also connected to ground through the ground wires on the 24 pin and 4-8 pin PSU cables.

A crude and simple diagram of the grounding scheme:

What exactly happened?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using a hdplex 400w and I forgot to insulate the plug. Some of the solder on the bottom of the pcb touched the case while the power was on. There was a huge spark and the psu and acdc adapter instantly shut down. I didn't have any of the 24 or 8pin connectors connected to the power supply because I was trying to isolate the psu. I eventually fixed it but accidentally shorted my case while doing so :/

I used a screwdriver to jump start the motherboard and the psu turned off instantly. I think that confirms it. I dont think there was a ground for any of the components to go to.

·
Top kek
3,596 Posts
Power Cycling usually fixes the issue if it doesnt power up instantly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts