Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

It is with great regret I fear my 780TI randomly gave up the ghost five minutes ago.

I had my PC plugged in but PSU switch off because for whatever reason Aura wasn't turning off the motherboard LEDs. Flipped the switch on, powered up, for whatever reason my boot didn't complete, it behaved like there wasn't a drive and I just got a frozen white underscore on a black screen.

I held down the power button till it turned off, then restarted. Water pump and fans ramped to full speed like a normal boot. Then everything shut off for a sec. Within one second it started up again, but this time the screen was FULL of artifacts when I got to my Windows login screen. I have seen artifacting GPUs and this was some of the worst I have EVER seen. Crazy colored lines and dots all over, GPU not recognized as functioning in the BIOS etc.

Why would this have happened? I have never had a GPU abruptly show signs of complete failure. Worked fine last night. Worked fine when I first powered up. WHAT IS GOING ON.

I honestly don't have the cash to buy a new GPU+waterblock, but I also don't want to deal with draining my loop if you guys think reseating or something has no chance of working. Worth a CMOS reset or throwing it on another PC for testing? I dont have the stock cooler so I would have to dig out some wc hardware to test it somewhere.

·
PC Gamer
1,163 Posts
Cmos reset and reseat the card possibly.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cmos reset and reseat the card possibly.
Welp. Looks like I will be draining my loop and faffing with hardline tonight.

Some users are selling some 980TIs. EVGA cards, but unfortunately not rocking the EVGA waterblocks with the hole spacing I need. I might have to get some more of the stupid Alphacool eiirshrohghghg whatever it is frosted acrylic for like $40 if I cant fix this, on top of $400 for a GPU. *cries in corner*

I will see if CMOS reset works, then move to reseating.

Just worried maybe my PSU killed it at power on....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well. I think she's dead. CMOS reset did nothing but erase all my hard work ocerclocking the system and tuning fans, while a reseat did nothing. I am very sad, and don't have the money to fix the problem. Looks like I am rigless for a while.

·
Iconoclast
30,428 Posts
Why would this have happened? I have never had a GPU abruptly show signs of complete failure. Worked fine last night. Worked fine when I first powered up. WHAT IS GOING ON.
Thousands of BGA solder joints and hundreds of surface mount components, any one of which could fail for any number of reasons, without any warning, that could kill the card. Ultimately, every power and thermal cycle is a game of Russian roulette, with the odds of survival getting worse as a part ages.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thousands of BGA solder joints and hundreds of surface mount components, any one of which could fail for any number of reasons, without any warning, that could kill the card. Ultimately, every power and thermal cycle is a game of Russian roulette, with the odds of survival getting worse as a part ages.
Yeah, sadly this is true. Put a lot of work into my rig recently-full hardline setup with that frosted acrylic stuff, hand sleeved my cables with paracord etc.

Pains me to see it die.
RIP.

I wonder if my power up delivered just a little too much power.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Yeah, sadly this is true. Put a lot of work into my rig recently-full hardline setup with that frosted acrylic stuff, hand sleeved my cables with paracord etc.

Pains me to see it die.
RIP.

I wonder if my power up delivered just a little too much power.
Could try the oven, trick.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Did you ever try to use different power supply or different cables to your GPU? Also if you get a new card you may want to replace power supply just simply for peace of mind. Your power supply may be shot.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rest assured, the oven is being preheated as I am currently scaping thermal goop off my die. Fun.

Linus managed to get his 780TI working like this, and his was in worse shape. I am willing to delude myself and assume it will work for me too!

I have a Supernova NEX 650 G1. Not amazing, but it seems to work OK. I don't really load it up too hard between my R5 1600 at 3.9 and my single 780TI. It hadn't shown any weirdness before. Worse yet I hand sleeved my cables with paracord, which took me like 20 hours, so I don't really want to get rid of it lol.

Anyways, lets see if ze toster ooven vil fix my GPU!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well.....

ZEE OFVEN HAS VERKED!

That is right....

10 minutes in a convection oven at 380 degrees seems to have brought her back to life, at least for now. The card isnt back in the loop yet but I smacked the block sorta back on and stuck it in the comp just to see what happened. Amazingly, no artifacts at startup or in the OS!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey man, I know this sounds like a joke but put your card in the oven. I had a similar situation a week ago. Tried for days to revive my gtx 780. Had pretty much given up until I saw it suggested that if it was a cracked solder somewhere that it could be fixed this way. Since the card was already dead and out of warranty I figured what the heck why not. And it WORKED! Disassemble your card down to the PCB. Wrap it in tin foil. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Put it in there for 10 minutes. Let it cool. Reassemble and give it a try. It worked for me. I was shocked. My card is running like a champ again. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ah, my post was little late. Glad the oven trick worked. gratz man.
Pretty amazing. I am a little nervous hitting it with a high load, but hey at least I can get back to editing photo/video.

It really is a shame Kepler didn't age well in regards to gaming. The Superclocked EVGA 780TI I have can crank out a beastly 6.03 teraflops in raw compute. Gets chopped by a 1060 in games though while it nearly trades blows with a 1070 in raw compute.

You seen any signs of weirdness with your card post oven?

·
Iconoclast
30,428 Posts
The "oven trick" is essentially the DIY variant of a reflow station...gets fractured solder joints near their melting point and hopefully allows them to weld themselves back together. Often works (when there is no obvious physical damage and no reason to suspect internal IC degradation/electromigration), usually doesn't last too long (weeks to months is typical, though I have a DDR2 DIMM that has been in use for ten years after being repaired in an oven), and usually can't be done more than once or twice as it's extremely rough on some components (most capacitors don't like spending any time at ~200C and such large thermal cycles can cause exactly the sort of damage a reflow is meant to fix).

Good fix of last resort, but you should probably start shopping for a new card ASAP, as there is no telling how long the repair will last.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ah, my post was little late. Glad the oven trick worked. gratz man.
Pretty amazing. I am a little nervous hitting it with a high load, but hey at least I can get back to editing photo/video.

It really is a shame Kepler didn't age well in regards to gaming. The Superclocked EVGA 780TI I have can crank out a beastly 6.03 teraflops in raw compute. Gets chopped by a 1060 in games though while it nearly trades blows with a 1070 in raw compute.

You seen any signs of weirdness with your card post oven?
Nope no signs of weirdness. It's been a little over a week. I've run under heavy load for 5 hours+ at times. Running as good as it used to. As far as gaming performance, I'm pretty happy with my 780 considering I've had it for over 3 years and I can still run mostly ultra settings in the latest games. Not always at 60fps but still...I'm content with this card at 1080p until the market prices come back down. Really glad you're back up and running. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I had my 780Ti die couple months ago for no reason either...
Replaced with a 1050Ti, no regrets afterwards but was wary at first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts