Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got up this morning, I went over to my computer and woke it from sleep mode. Nothing was responsive, and I could not get task manager up, so I did a hard reset. Immediately after the restart, BIOS loaded up really slow, and then my hard drive was not showing up at all. I have tried running HD tests(but its not showing up), putting the drive on a different SATA ports, running it in 150mbps, running on a different rail on the psu. I can hear the drive spin up, but nothing beyond that. Any clues?

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
First off I would try a new sata cable. unlikely but maybe.

Reset your bios as well. I have seen a bios get jacked up and give really odd issues.

Lastly if you have another pc hook up your drive and see if it shows up.

If its completely gone then yeah you probably dumped a hdd

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried different sata ports and cables. Nothing seems to be working. Also just hooked it to a usb to sata adapter and attached it to my netbook, got nothing. Looks like it is dead.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Most likely. Does it show up in disk management on your netbook?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just ran it from my usb->Sata adapter. And did not come up with anything. I tried an old IDE drive and it came up, so I believe the adapter still works. I am pretty much convinced that the drive is just gone. Which is weird. I have had drives that the comp would recognize, but would not work properly. But I have never had a drive just to up and die overnight with out any warning. Just sucks that I will re-install windows, programs, games, and reload music and pics from backups.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
What kind of hard drive is it? Perhaps you could just replace the controller (I Think).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts