Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so last night at about 12:30am I needed to get on my computer, I started it up normally. However after bootloader choice (Win7 or Ubuntu) it prompted me to enter startup repair, but also gave me the choice to start windows normally. No matter what I chose, it gave me a very slow windows loading bar and then just hung. I tried to boot into a live cd of ubuntu, but it gave me a filesystem timeout every time until I removed the SSD and tried again. It should also be mentioned that I have a 500gb Caviar in my build for iTunes and Steam games as well.

This morning I tried connecting my SSD to my laptop externally, and windows recognized the System Reserved partition in Windows Explorer, but nothing about the other 75gb. I went into Disk Management and it didn't show the drive until I ejected it and plugged it back in. Although then it showed the correct partitions, I couldn't select anything without the program freezing until I again removed the drive.

It seems that my SSD is faulty, it's an Intel X25-M 80gb and I got it in late January. There's nothing terribly important that I can't get back if it needed replacement. But is there anything I can do or should I just contact Intel. Also, is there anyway I can zero out the drive so they can't see any information?

Thanks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You think they'd replace it right?

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
should do, especially if it's under warranty like it sounds

sorry man, sounds like the SSD. if it's having problems in Ubuntu as well as in Windows, on the PC it stays in, as well as your laptop, then it definitely sounds like the SSD...

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yes, they'd replace it. To zero out the info, try using 35 passes in Crapcleaner, if you can get that to run.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Burn Parted Magic to a CD and boot from that, then go to Erase Disk and do a Secure Erase on your SSD, it should only take a few seconds. This will wipe the drive and restore the SSD's performance like it was brand new.
Once you've done this I would try the drive again. Just make sure only to select the SSD as obviously it will wipe all data from the drive you select, if you want to be really safe you could disconnect any other drives.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just can't believe how easily and quickly it died, I mean I've had my WD Green powered drive for a couple years now. This was like 2 months and it's an SSD

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm well my other two HDD's that were hooked up 24/7 are older and both fine

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds like a failure to me..mine also died 2 days ago, OCZ Solid 30GB, luckily I still have another one that is still ok.. I only used it for 2 months before it died. Long lifespan or not, it still died in 2 months!!!

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by razr7
View Post

ssds are known for long life span.....

Based on what, exactly? Manufacturers claims?

They haven't been around long enough to know what happens in the real world..
..a

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Based on what, exactly? Manufacturers claims?

They haven't been around long enough to know what happens in the real world..
..a
yeah that's for sure..

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah definitely, I'm using my RAID 500gb caviars, I might just sell the thing after I get the replacement, not worth the price, slow down, or possibly instability, even for the speed difference which isn't even that noticeable except for maybe boot speeds.

Or I might just put it in my M11x...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts