Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I upgraded a laptop to 2x2GB last year, I paid $54 for the modules. I just tried to buy the same memory for a new laptop, and it was >$100 (in-store, Microcenter, for the same brand/model I had bought last year). I checked online, and it seems all the 4GB kits are around $100 now.

What happened? Did I get a killer deal last time, or has RAM doubled in price?
..a

·
Banned
4,874 Posts
Ram has skyrocketed in the last few months.

I bought my Mushkins back in July for ~100 dollars (give or take 10) and now they're $214 on newegg..

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eflyguy
View Post

When I upgraded a laptop to 2x2GB last year, I paid $54 for the modules. I just tried to buy the same memory for a new laptop, and it was >$100 (in-store, Microcenter, for the same brand/model I had bought last year). I checked online, and it seems all the 4GB kits are around $100 now.

What happened? Did I get a killer deal last time, or has RAM doubled in price?
..a

RAM prices have been going up over the past year. And they are expected to continue to do so.

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Ram prices are about proper now. Last year they were selling the ram at below the cost it even takes to produce the modules, and we are unlikely to ever see those prices again.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
They have been going up for almost a year.... i got a 2 x 2gb kit for my laptop back in jan of 09 for $40 a/r... same one last i looked was over $100.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
There still are good second hand deals, the prices for them haven't risen that much. I found a 2GB DDR2-667 module from a reputed salesman for 20$ a few weeks ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts