Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between an ultra dma hard drive, ata hard drive(plus diferent speeds i.e.100, 133,) and serial ata hard drives?

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by madgamer

What is the difference between an ultra dma hard drive, ata hard drive(plus diferent speeds i.e.100, 133,) and serial ata hard drives?

The difference is in the read rate of the drives in memory 100MB/s, 133MB/s ATA drives and 150MB/s sata drives

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
hmm..dunno if this is where i should ask but ill ask anyways =). Why do those raptors that have like 70bg cost more then liek a 120bg wd or something? Thyere that much faster im guessing? But does that kinda speed make a noticable diff?

·
Banned
4,410 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR

hmm..dunno if this is where i should ask but ill ask anyways =). Why do those raptors that have like 70bg cost more then liek a 120bg wd or something? Thyere that much faster im guessing? But does that kinda speed make a noticable diff?

Raptors run 10,000 rpm..........others run 7,200 rpm..............there is a new drive that run 15,000 rpm but the price is huge!!

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
yeah but my programs and stuff open fairly fast...i dont see how a 10k rpm could be that much faster? what is it like instantaneous light speed? lol its thier before you click the button?

·
Banned
4,410 Posts
Quote:

yeah but my programs and stuff open fairly fast...i dont see how a 10k rpm could be that much faster? what is it like instantaneous light speed? lol its thier before you click the button?
thats all it is ,is faster access speeds

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
I love my Raptor. I have 2 almost identical Rigs Both XP 2500 both overclocked identically. The one with the Raptor is so much quicker, Its noticeable

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
the extra rpm make a lot of diffrence, i went from a 5400 to a 7200 and it lowerd load time by about 1/3. i have some 10k and 15k scsi drives and man, those things are blazin!
in both speed and heat generated)

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Quote:

You must be using very simple applications. When you load games or do any video editing... then you notice things.

And to whoever said 15k.... who makes it??? And im assuming its SATA.... because theres many 15k rpms out already for SCSI...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts