Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Are you using all 4 gigs? If you arent then it wont make a lick of difference. If you are maxing out the 4 gigs then yes, you will defiently see an increase in performance.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ban916 View Post
I have 4 gig and am thinking of going with 8 gigs. Those that have done that have you seen a big difference?
What do you use your computer for? If you're mainly asking in regards to gaming, I'd have to say no way.

·
Banned
711 Posts
If you do not have some specific need for that much ram, like you work for crytek and you need to make crysis levels or something, then maybe. Otherwise, no it will make no difference at all. Might even slow ur computer down slightly.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
My opinion....

If you're asking "Do I need more RAM?", then you don't need more RAM. If you did need more RAM, you would already know.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Slightly related note as far as whether or not it's worth it - for my DDR 3, I ended up with 5x2gb sticks. With all 10gb in, I don't get as good of performance as with 6gb. If you have ddr3, better to have 3 or 6 dimms. ddr2, 2 dimms or 4 dimms.

·
Banned
3,105 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy1993
View Post

Slightly related note as far as whether or not it's worth it - for my DDR 3, I ended up with 5x2gb sticks. With all 10gb in, I don't get as good of performance as with 6gb. If you have ddr3, better to have 3 or 6 dimms. ddr2, 2 dimms or 4 dimms.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with DDR2/DDR3 RAM, it's the Dual/Triple channels that govern what performance your RAM performs at. So if you're on an X58 platform, get an odd number of DIMMs. Even for LGA1156.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ipwnnubletz
View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with DDR2/DDR3 RAM, it's the Dual/Triple channels that govern what performance your RAM performs at. So if you're on an X58 platform, get an odd number of DIMMs. Even for LGA1156.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 1156 is Dual Channel, hence even number of DIMMs. i7 1366 is only Triple Channel.

·
Banned
3,105 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgetiton
View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 1156 is Dual Channel, hence even number of DIMMs. i7 1366 is only Triple Channel.

That's exactly what I just said.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts