Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first started making my computer I was fairly new to everything and I bought the 2600 non K CPU along with an H67 motherboard. I wanted to find out how much of a performance boost you guys get when you overclock your CPU? Is it enough for me to be upset that I bought the non K version? or is overclocking more of a fun thing to do and yields a slight performance increase?

If its a major difference then I may try to figure out some options on what I can do to get a CPU that overclocks.
I could either try to sell my 2600 non K and buy a 2500K or 2600K
or I can see if someone out there has a 2500k they want to trade for a 2600.

I game alot on my computer but sometimes I do video editing within sony vegas pro and do other things with photoshop. Would I notice a huge difference between the 2500K and 2600 since I would be missing out on the hyperthreading?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Since you have a GTX 580 then yes you will be able to see a noticeable improvement in gaming performance with an overclocked CPU. The GPU can only work as hard as the CPU will let it, and stock clocks just don't cut it on the latest, most demanding games. You'll have to Google for some charts.

As for i5 vs i7, I don't know. For gaming the i5 is perfect but you may need the HT for your video stuff.

Edit - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/starcraft-ii-radeon-geforce,review-32000-8.html

That's a small example of the fps improvement with CPU overclocking. First gen i7 +400mhz gave 5 min fps and almost 9 on the average. They have another review on there that shows a bunch of different games and all with similar gains.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaldude View Post

Since you have a GTX 580 then yes you will be able to see a noticeable improvement in gaming performance with an overclocked CPU. The GPU can only work as hard as the CPU will let it, and stock clocks just don't cut it on the latest, most demanding games. You'll have to Google for some charts.
As for i5 vs i7, I don't know. For gaming the i5 is perfect but you may need the HT for your video stuff.
I do not think my CPU is bottlenecking my single 580 though. My 580 operates at 99% and my CPU never hits 100% while gaming.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratjack View Post

I do not think my CPU is bottlenecking my single 580 though. My 580 operates at 99% and my CPU never hits 100% while gaming.
It's not exactly a strict matter of BN. 99% in one game is not always the same as 99% in another.

Here's a better performance review: http://www.benchzone.com/page.php?al=gaming_performance_part1&pg=17

They used a 2600k and a 480, so it's close enough to make some comparisons. Not all games will show an improvement but some will see fairly big gains. If you ever plan to SLI, check out their review on that. Huge gains when overclocking the CPU.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts