Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on making a custom water cooling kit and I was wondering if I would see a major cooling difference between 1/2" tubing and 3/8" tubing. I have heard somepeople say that 3/8" is much easier to work with, especially in a midtower like mine, but if it is easier to work with is it worth any preformance drop it might cuase.

Btw, right now I am planning to cool my cpu only with the possible addition of other components later.

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Well you'll get better temps with 1/2" tubing because more water is going through the waterblock, but I don't think having 3/8 will drop your performance that much.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacKz5o

Well you'll get better temps with 1/2" tubing because more water is going through the waterblock, but I don't think having 3/8 will drop your performance that much.

It really does. I can't remember the numbers, but burn had 3/8" for awhile and switched to 1/2". It was quite a difference.

You could go with 7/16"ID-5/8"OD tubing on 1/2" barbs and see zero difference in temps. It's easier to work with than 1/2"-3/4" tubing.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp

It really does. I can't remember the numbers, but burn had 3/8" for awhile and switched to 1/2". It was quite a difference.

You could go with 7/16"ID-5/8"OD tubing on 1/2" barbs and see zero difference in temps. It's easier to work with than 1/2"-3/4" tubing.

Yeah, outter-diameter measurements makes a big difference. But, the thicker the tubing, the less likely it is to "crimp" on tight bends. So, it's a trade.

Also, what makes everything easier is to make sure you use blocks and fittings with barbs only. Don't try to deal with those screw on compression fittings. They are O.D. sensitive and a PAIN to wrench on as they can spin the tubing causing crimping.

EDIT: Replace the word CRIMP with KINK...I'm a dope.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp

Good advice...Check out this Masterkleer..Real good stuff...There out of stock right now but other places carry it to....Danger Den :: Tubing :: Tubing and Clamps :: 7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts