Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
So, an air pump then?

Hmm..I think with fans you would achieve better results...but that's me.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry
The blue is water. Think of it as like a water fall passing over some non-corrosive metal that is thermally pasted to the heatsink.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
SO like you mean waterproofing your cpu, and like running a waterfall type thing over it?

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xerasyte
View Post

SO like you mean waterproofing your cpu, and like running a waterfall type thing over it?

All the water would be in that container, and would mount to the cpu like a normal heatsink. The "air?" at the top is questioning having the water fall open to the air, or closed off from it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think I understand what your asking...You mean like whether or not to expose the water to air or not? If thats what your asking, then Id keep it closed off. So whatever is cooling the water can keep it constant. If you have no idea what I'm saying I'm sorry, I'm having trouble comprehending what your asking. ( I fell kinda stupid right now.
)

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox
View Post

All the water would be in that container, and would mount to the cpu like a normal heatsink. The "air?" at the top is questioning having the water fall open to the air, or closed off from it.

You would want a closed loop for sure, otherwise you end up with all kinds of crud in it....Have you ever heard of Bong coolers? It's not really what your wanting to do there but it's an open type of WC that uses air and water, you might be interested in it...Not in much use anymore...Just google it, pretty neat stuff....

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k
View Post

You would want a closed loop for sure, otherwise you end up with all kinds of crud in it....Have you ever heard of Bong coolers? It's not really what your wanting to do there but it's an open type of WC that uses air and water, you might be interested in it...Not in much use anymore...Just google it, pretty neat stuff....

The technique is also called swamp cooler or evaporative cooler. The latent heat is evaporated off and allows better than ambient temps. You need to worry about splattering of the water, refilling the water, and performance is heavily dependent on ambient temp/humidity.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

The technique is also called swamp cooler or evaporative cooler. The latent heat is evaporated off and allows better than ambient temps. You need to worry about splattering of the water, refilling the water, and performance is heavily dependent on ambient temp/humidity.

Yeah a Buddy of mine used to run one, he would lose over a gallon of water a day from evaporation....Cooled like crazy though....Thank God for high head pumps, we have it made today.....

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

View Post

Yeah a Buddy of mine used to run one, he would lose over a gallon of water a day from evaporation....Cooled like crazy though....Thank God for high head pumps, we have it made today.....

I don't want that much water floating around my room...although it is a little dry. What kind of temps did he get with what sort of CPU?

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootsfox
View Post

I don't want that much water floating around my room...although it is a little dry. What kind of temps did he get with what sort of CPU?

Oh he was getting right around ambient....It's really not worth it though...They are a royal pain in the neck, lose water constantly, crud growing in it, they are definetly a conversation piece though...
...That was back when all you could get were crappy pond pumps and you had to make your own water blocks....They weren't high tech...He had an old shower head in the top of it spraying down to atomize the water and a fan blowing across it....It was made out of 4" PVC pipe....

·
Registered
749 Posts
I WAS THINKING ABOUT THAT IN ENGLISH TODAY! I thought to myself, "hmm, i hate english. What is cooler than english? How about a zalman 9700 heatsink in an acrylic cube filled with distilled water!? That would be the ultimate heatsink!"

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

View Post

Oh he was getting right around ambient....It's really not worth it though...They are a royal pain in the neck, lose water constantly, crud growing in it, they are definetly a conversation piece though...
...That was back when all you could get were crappy pond pumps and you had to make your own water blocks....They weren't high tech...He had an old shower head in the top of it spraying down to atomize the water and a fan blowing across it....It was made out of 4" PVC pipe....

I...must...try...now!

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stormlobster, I like the 9700 idea, but I want to remove the rad....water cooling without a rad

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.