Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Source: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution FSR Review: Big FPS Boosts, But Image Quality Takes A Hit (digitalfoundry.net)

Best viewed on a 4K screen. Smart upscaling is becoming a seriously big deal for PC gaming - and having sampled DLSS from Nvidia, it's now time to look at FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) from AMD. It's a very, very different beast. Performance gains can be huge, but the hit to image quality can be obvious. Alex Battaglia takes a look at a selection of games from the first batch.
DOA, temporal upscalers already provide better image quality and future game engines will provide much better IQ like Unreal Engine 5's TSR.

Premium Member
FSR is a lot better than I thought it was going to be. The performance and balanced modes are not very good, but the higher details modes definitely are. It isn't better than DLSS 2.0, although how much not-better is difficult to judge without both scaling methods being available in the same game or demo. But it also doesn't have some of the same errors that DLSS 2.0 does have like ghosting, moir茅 patterns, and other artifacts. No upscaling method is perfect.

This review is a lot more critical than the others ones I saw, but I do appreciate the detail. The comparison to TAA temporal upscaling is interesting, and an element I hadn't seen in other reviews. Although I think it is a bit disingenuous to only compare TAA to the performance present when the performance preset is by far the weakest mode of comparison.

I think there is an excellent chance that FSR will see widespread adoption. It is apparently much easier to integrate into games with much less development time and effort, it is compatible with all GPUs and it has been confirmed to support Xbox consoles. I was worried that it would be hot garbage and I am happy it isn't.

One thing I haven't seen measured much is if and by how much input latency can be effected by these kind of upscalers. Adding more steps in the rendering pipeline often has this effect.

Cheesebumps!!
No upscaling method is perfect.
and they aren't technically "similar" in any way..they do function the same way but they are unique on the approach being used, either ways this is a still a big win for everyone(gamers) who held on to their cards from previous generations to get some more extra from them..most don't/won't really mind the graphics quality(based on what I read on the comments from the reviews, offcourse with the exception of the fanboi's) as they are already playing at their lows, they just want the gaming experience and fun that the game brings.

Graphics Junkie
It looks pretty good, a bit better than I thought it would but it does seem strange that they didn't incorporate any temporal information at all. Seems like it could do more if there was a temporal aspect to it.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it if it were an option in a game I were playing. There are a lot of upscaling techniques if you consider the per engine upscalers. FSR may not be better than some of them but it's a welcome option.

Iconoclast
Better than I was expecting and probably competitive with DLSS 2.x at the higher quality presets. Will need to see some games that support both for a better comparison, but FSR ultra quality and DLSS quality don't seem hugely different, either in relative IQ or performance. FSR has, and needs, more pixels to play with, but it also appears to have less overhead, which balances out at the highest quality presets. Personally, I'm not concerned with the lower quality presets as they all look like crap to me, on either FSR or DLSS.

The technology is impressive...a low-overhead spatial upscaler that doesn't fall far behind fancy pre-trained temporal upscalers, if there are enough pixels to work with internally. DLSS seems to do progressively better, relative to FSR as internal resolution falls...this would be a much more compelling argument for DLSS, if DLSS worked on any low-end cards.

FSR certainly doesn't appear DOA...temporal upscaling has a higher quality potential, but it can't be retrofitted to current games and engines as easily. UE5 isn't going to be universal and DLSS, as widely supported as it is, is still absent from the majority of titles and still requires an RTX card to use. I have an RTX 3080, but I also have two 1080 Tis, a 5700XT, and a 6800XT that DLSS will likely never function on, but which could all potentially use FSR.

The main issue with FSR is adoption. I have zero games that use it currently, and am only seriously considering one or two games for which it's been announced so far. Ease of implementation is no guarantee of implementation. It may well become the norm on consoles, but it's hard to overstate the laziness of most publishers...no matter how quickly or cheaply the could patch it in to their PC releases, I'm far from convinced most will bother.

• Rep+
Reactions: Sir Beregond

Cheesebumps!!
The main issue with FSR is adoption. I have zero games that use it currently, and am only seriously considering one or two games for which it's been announced so far. Ease of implementation is no guarantee of implementation. It may well become the norm on consoles, but it's hard to overstate the laziness of most publishers...no matter how quickly or cheaply the could patch it in to their PC releases, I'm far from convinced most will bother.
Ngreedia took long (years) before DLSS and RT got baked into games..but for the ease of adoption/implementation FSR seems pretty straightforward give this a few months or a year and its gonna make a massive hit..

Banned
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Better than I was expecting and probably competitive with DLSS 2.x at the higher quality presets. Will need to see some games that support both for a better comparison, but FSR ultra quality and DLSS quality don't seem hugely different, either in relative IQ or performance. FSR has, and needs, more pixels to play with, but it also appears to have less overhead, which balances out at the highest quality presets. Personally, I'm not concerned with the lower quality presets as they all look like crap to me, on either FSR or DLSS.

The technology is impressive...a low-overhead spatial upscaler that doesn't fall far behind fancy pre-trained temporal upscalers, if there are enough pixels to work with internally. DLSS seems to do progressively better, relative to FSR as internal resolution falls...this would be a much more compelling argument for DLSS, if DLSS worked on any low-end cards.

FSR certainly doesn't appear DOA...temporal upscaling has a higher quality potential, but it can't be retrofitted to current games and engines as easily. UE5 isn't going to be universal and DLSS, as widely supported as it is, is still absent from the majority of titles and still requires an RTX card to use. I have an RTX 3080, but I also have two 1080 Tis, a 5700XT, and a 6800XT that DLSS will likely never function on, but which could all potentially use FSR.

It's clearly DOA, TAAU/TSR aren't the only temporal upscalers. Many other engines have their own which as DF pointed out look better than FSR. As you mentioned it's just laziness why titles like Godfall don't have TAAU which uses Unreal Engine. The developers still haven't fixed a 7 month bug where Epic Shadows don't provide a proper shadow of the character model. It's not shocking why games like this should be bypassed.

Graphics Junkie
It's clearly DOA, TAAU/TSR aren't the only temporal upscalers. Many other engines have their own which as DF pointed out look better than FSR. As you mentioned it's just laziness why titles like Godfall don't have TAAU which uses Unreal Engine. The developers still haven't fixed a 7 month bug where Epic Shadows don't provide a proper shadow of the character model. It's not shocking why games like this should be bypassed.
It doesn't have to look better than all the other options, it just has to look good enough that gamers would want to use it. It's definitely not DOA, it easily looks better than DLSS did at launch. Perhaps it will improve further in time.

If FSR is never at all improved on and this is as good as it ever gets, then maybe it will be short lived but to me this looks like a good start.

Cheesebumps!!

View attachment 2514933
don't you like that? you have 2 shadows..its better than none..

Master Oogway once said, "there are no accidents"

Overclocker
DF?? :ROFLMAO::LOL:
Lets be honest, it's been said that DF is in nvidia's back pocket for a while now. And wouldn't expect anything less from them. However, their review seem a bit disconjointed at times. As if portions were edited out. However, here are a few other reviews.

Did Steve give a pass to AMD's FSR :eek:馃槺

In any case I'm loving it myself. For me Ultra and Quality are the best settings for the performance boost I want. I wonder how many 1080ti owners will use it? 馃槒

Iconoclast
It's clearly DOA, TAAU/TSR aren't the only temporal upscalers. Many other engines have their own which as DF pointed out look better than FSR.
For something to be 'DOA' it needs to not have a niche or not have any chance of filling that niche.

There are thousands of titles and dozens of engines out there that will either never have an integrated temporal upscaler, or where the effort to use it well would exceed the effort to implement FSR. All that low hanging fruit is where FSR's main potential niche is.

What would be useful is a way to forcibly apply it, UI artifacts be damned; though it would be even better if there were a way to inject it before the UI was rendered, perhaps at the same stage in-game render scale is set. Having to rely on publishers patching titles always has an element of uncertainty and a spatial upscaler shouldn't need that sort of integration anyway. That's the niche current post process upscaling + sharpen filters have...they work on essentially anything.

Premium Member
Even if FSR amounts to nothing it isn't DOA. AMD delivered a real, viable solution, and they might get out competed but they didn't fail. At all.

TAA offers advantages and disadvantages to FSR even in unreal games. The killer feature of all of the algorithms is you get to play your games at higher frame rates while retaining a significant portion of your image quality. They all deliver on that. FSR is the only solution that could potentially work in all games and all platforms, and for that reason I think it has a pretty significant advantage.

I also think that temporal upscaling algorithms are different from other kinds of tech in that they offer significant, compelling advantages to gamers and developers. As a developer, If you can give more gamers with average PCs the opportunity to play your game at reasonable image quality than of course you take it.

Gamer
Ultra and quality are the only modes I would both bother using, and only at 4k.
4k performance mode got me to 141fps locked, although it looks far worse than native. If you're far enough away from your TV, it doesn't matter as much.
My TV is only a few feet away from where I usually am, so I can notice instantly.

Overclocker

Balance and Performance needs an adjustment to it's scale factor. It's simply way to high. That's the problem.

Registered
I wouldn't call it DOA but if it is not as good at TAAU then there are issues. Even Kitguru mentioned this. I would like to see how this compares to the upscalers used by the consoles.

Also, i see alot people saying this gives life to old cards. It doesn't FSR looks crap unless you are targetting something like 4k ultra quality. if you're laggin behind at 1080p or 2k it's not worth anything

Banned
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
don't you like that? you have 2 shadows..its better than none..

Master Oogway once said, "there are no accidents"
It's just one shadow with no detail, the second you see is suppose to be a flag. Medium, High and Epic shadow quality have a broken character model. While low shadow quality properly shows the detail of the character but all the other shadows are horrible. These are the titles that will implement FSR, which should be avoided.

Registered
Cool, I can't wait to try this on my RX6800 backup GPU so I can see how it compares to DLSS.

Registered
DF?? :ROFLMAO::LOL:
Lets be honest, it's been said that DF is in nvidia's back pocket for a while now. And wouldn't expect anything less from them. However, their review seem a bit disconjointed at times. As if portions were edited out. However, here are a few other reviews.

Did Steve give a pass to AMD's FSR :eek:馃槺

In any case I'm loving it myself. For me Ultra and Quality are the best settings for the performance boost I want. I wonder how many 1080ti owners will use it? 馃槒

At least, both GN and HUB did their homework and respected the marketing materials, reviewing rules, that AMD sent and imposed them.

The pixelized thumbnail is showcased in all the FSR videos, that followed the AMD marketing rules.
So much originality!

So it did not surprise me, (i do not watch their content) that GN give a pass to AMD FSR.
Both GN and HUB give a pass on whatever marketing materials is sent from AMD.

Tank destroyer and a god
I was never fan on upscaling, and discussion about which one is better is essentially meaningless.

Nvidia used a lot of snakeoil with first announcement of Gsync as they misrepresented how stutter really works, and of course they did not mentioned any of working solutions. It is true though that FreeSync and Gsync can alleviate stutter issues, but dont tell the gamers it still requires Vsync as a part of its technology.

DLSS is similar stupid brand name. You either do native 4k or you dont and discussion about better or worse upscale is mostly waste of resources. I understand AMD needs its own response, but now its far from being as elegant as FreeSync was.

• Rep+
Reactions: Catscratch
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.