Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
8700K, GTX 1080 Ti
42 Posts
Why don't y'all try it for youself? I gave it a quick spin with my 1080 Ti at 1440p with FSR Ultra Quality. The Riftbreaker demo is free on Steam and includes FSR and a short, consistent benchmark.

I don't have an RTX card so I never tried DLSS 1.0 or 2.0, so I can't compare, but it really isn't bad. The IQ hit is quite easily noticeable, especially on the rocks on the side, the sharp edges on the top side of the rocks become slightly blurry. The foliage is also noticeably less sharp. The character models are pretty much the same to my eyes.

It's not a demanding game so framerates are high, but you can still establish some performance margins. I did three passes with and without and I got the following results

No FSR:
Average: 193.90
1% lows: 161.13
0.1% low: 120.64

FSR on:
Average: 241.74
1% lows: 188.85
0.1% low: 128.94

With FSR on, I got 24.2% more performance on average with a 17% boost to 1% lows. That's pretty impressive. The IQ hit wasn't massive, but I'd be lying if I said I couldn't instantly tell the difference. If this game ran at 48 FPS and I enabled FSR and got a nice 60, that's a big win. Or if it ran at 60 already, it could run at 75 now. That's right around where I notice the biggest differences in smoothness, so I'd be willing to live with this small compromise for free smooth framerates.

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
Why don't y'all try it for youself? I gave it a quick spin with my 1080 Ti at 1440p with FSR Ultra Quality. The Riftbreaker demo is free on Steam and includes FSR and a short, consistent benchmark.

I don't have an RTX card so I never tried DLSS 1.0 or 2.0, so I can't compare, but it really isn't bad. The IQ hit is quite easily noticeable, especially on the rocks on the side, the sharp edges on the top side of the rocks become slightly blurry. The foliage is also noticeably less sharp. The character models are pretty much the same to my eyes.

It's not a demanding game so framerates are high, but you can still establish some performance margins. I did three passes with and without and I got the following results

No FSR:
Average: 193.90
1% lows: 161.13
0.1% low: 120.64

FSR on:
Average: 241.74
1% lows: 188.85
0.1% low: 128.94

With FSR on, I got 24.2% more performance on average with a 17% boost to 1% lows. That's pretty impressive. The IQ hit wasn't massive, but I'd be lying if I said I couldn't instantly tell the difference. If this game ran at 48 FPS and I enabled FSR and got a nice 60, that's a big win. Or if it ran at 60 already, it could run at 75 now. That's right around where I notice the biggest differences in smoothness, so I'd be willing to live with this small compromise for free smooth framerates.
Having an upscaler setting that is compatible with your GPU is 100% better than having no setting. I have a living room PC hooked up to my 4k TV - an older model that doesn't support VRR and also for whatever reason is only able to run 1440p at 30fps. My options are 1080p or 4k and that's it, and there are a lot of games where my GTX 1080 can manage 35-45 fps at 4k or 100+ FPS at 1080p. Having a step in-between that didn't suck would be great.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,631 Posts
Wannabe, tone down your bias. It's better than DLSS was at launch, it's been out for 1 day. It's not dead on arrival, stop saying that because it's clearly wrong and rediculous.

Yes there are other forms of upscaling besides DLSS that usually look better but, correct me if I'm wrong, none of them came out yesterday.

You don't have to like it but at least try to pretend your not massively bias. Why even bother to post this if all you want to do is **** on it anyway?

It's not the best upscaler out there but your take on it is completely unreasonable.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ah yes, reviewers have united to form the secret society of "marketing material" because they are conspiring to give a video analysis of their findings. And provide an independent review by showing you how good FSR is. By telling you almost anyone can use it. FSR isn't locked down on a particular hard to buy, overpriced gpu.

FSR, can be used on existing gpus. And the fact that you don't need tensor cores to "upscale" in a covaluted, cumbersome, over the top way. That really shows why tensor cores was shoe horned for pc gaming gpus. And, how unnecessary they are in gaming. LOL.

Let's all ignore that the IQ in Ultra and Quality are exceptional at higher resolutions for the performance uplift from this "upscaler". That even, forgotten about, pascal users can use. Let's concentrate on how you feel about it. And how you claim you don't believe anything positive about FSR do to some random conspiracy theory how they are out to get you!!!

So do use all a favor don't let them get to you. Keep the hate alive. Don't let honest reviews convert you. And hold fast to the belief that upscalers should only be tied into 1 parricular set of gpus. 1st Tensor 6:12-14.
😂🤣

No, no, my point is a fact!
GN and HUB are not reviewers, they are influencers, at least for my standards, you know the funny French sentence: "nous n'avons pas les mêmes valeurs"!!!

GN and HUB don't usually like to show the industry paperwork, they receive, for the reviews.
If you are not aware how it is done in the industry, you can check the der8aue video:

It explains how it's done, for people who don't know, during its altercation with IgorLab, because Igor was being rude.

If on utube, one sees that all the reviews, for determined product, are published with a fixed scheme.
It most likely means, that the person agreed to the NDA and followed the review material rules sent by the manufacturer.

About FSR/DLSS, if you want my opinion, it is a paradox for me.
We were looking to get the best image quality possible in the past, but now blurry images are a trend.
G T F O AA, i guess?! 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️

·
Banned
8,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Wannabe, tone down your bias. It's better than DLSS was at launch, it's been out for 1 day. It's not dead on arrival, stop saying that because it's clearly wrong and rediculous.

Yes there are other forms of upscaling besides DLSS that usually look better but, correct me if I'm wrong, none of them came out yesterday.

You don't have to like it but at least try to pretend your not massively bias. Why even bother to post this if all you want to do is **** on it anyway?

It's not the best upscaler out there but your take on it is completely unreasonable.
You're right they didn't come out yesterday, they came out 4 years ago and look better than this product that was released yesterday.

That's the issue with fanboys, they hype up garbage just because of a brand preference instead of letting game developers know we would prefer better solutions that have already been available for years.

·
Premium Member
20,622 Posts
No, no, my point is a fact!
And GN and HUB are not reviewers, they are influencers, at least for my standards, you know the funny French sentence: "nous n'avons pas les mêmes valeurs"!!!

GN and HUB don't usually like to show the industry paperwork, they receive, for the reviews.
If you are not aware how it is done in the industry, you can check the der8aue video:

It explains how it's done, for people who don't know, during its altercation with IgorLab, because Igor was being rude.

If on utube, one sees that all the reviews, for determined product, are published with fixed scheme.
It most likely means, that the person agreed to the NDA and followed the review material rules sent by the manufacturer.

About FSR/DLSS, if you want my opinion, it is a paradox for me.
We were looking to get the best image quality possible in the past, but now blurry images are a trend.
🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️
For those of us who are not willing to pay a premium for a new card FSR and DLSS are a welcome trick. My RX 570, 1060,1660, and 1660 Super will benefit much. Heck, even my 5700 and 5700XT are ready for this.

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,976 Posts
Why do some of you even bother?

I'm not at all impressed with DLSS in relation to FSR. They both have their place, but FSR is infinitely more useful to more people, hence, DLSS will be "DOA" before FSR ever will be. (neither will be for the foreseeable future.)

...and before someone starts running their suck about "fanbois" or what-have-you, my last three cards have been 3090, 1080 ti and 980 ti.

·
Registered
248 Posts
For those of us who are not willing to pay a premium for a new card FSR and DLSS are a welcome trick. My RX 570, 1060,1660, and 1660 Super will benefit much. Heck, even my 5700 and 5700XT are ready for this.
You are right, i agree.

Still, personally, i would prefer lowering the graphics down, to get a decent gaming experience, frametime, instead of enabling image scaling.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,631 Posts
You're right they didn't come out yesterday, they came out 4 years ago and look better than this product that was released yesterday.

That's the issue with fanboys, they hype up garbage just because of a brand preference instead of letting game developers know we would prefer better solutions that have already been available for years.
You're completely rediculous and so biased that there is really no point in trying to have a logical conversation with you.

FSR is good, not great, but there is no reason to hate on a free optional feature. Yes there are other upscalers but none that are as universal as FSR. They'll each have their niche. If FSR improves at all, it will be a great feature and one that doesn't force gamers into camps.

·
Banned
8,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
You're completely rediculous and so biased that there is really no point in trying to have a logical conversation with you.

FSR is good, not great, but there is no reason to hate on a free optional feature. Yes there are other upscalers but none that are as universal as FSR. They'll each have their niche. If FSR improves at all, it will be a great feature and one that doesn't force gamers into camps.
You're ridiculous, game engines have had temporal upscalers for years that aren't hardware agnostic. Why can't you get that through your thick skull. This is a very basic solution while we have had much better for years but since it has AMD branding it's somehow magical. Seems like you completely ignored the DF video/OP source like you did in all my threads.

1,173 Posts
of all the posts here I find your's trivial..why would you use such technologies on SLI 2080TI's??? 🤣

I mean, I for one who owns a 6800XT won't find it that much useful these days since everything runs pretty fine on it on native resolution..majority of us here have high end systems and I think its kinda dumb to put your shoes on something that doesn't fit you..I would say FSR would work out best for potato PC's and 2-3 generations old GPU's which can still kick some ass on latest games with low settings..this is just FREE performance bump for them..
I don't think you understand the significance of DLSS and what it has achieved. It has gotten so good with more recent implementations like Metro Exodus EE that you can even use Balanced mode instead of Quality and double your performance without meaningful quality loss, the kind of gain that was never possible by any means other than SLI, this is basically SLI-like gain but without second card. And with how well it removes aliasing and resolves detail in the distance, for some aspects of the picture it can actually rival or even surpass the quality of old school MSAA+SGSSAA setup, which is still the best AA to date, while doubling your performance instead of cutting it in half. The days of brute forcing performance with things like SLI are over and techniques like DLSS or in general software based innovations are the future (not that I like that direction much, but what can you do...) and it is in the best interest of everyone for both GPU manufacturers to have competitive technology, because otherwise you end up at the situation we are now in, where any game that partners with AMD and or just does not have DLSS will be running 2 times slower than it could and with lower imagine quality in a lot of aspects of the picture at the same time.

Dismissing such technologies with "why would you need it" as something just for low-end is just not very thoughtful, it is an extra performance that you can utilize in whatever way you please, on low-end you can use it to get out of misery, and on high-end you can use it to push the boundaries. Everyone needs more performance all the same.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,631 Posts
You're ridiculous, game engines have had temporal upscalers for years that aren't hardware agnostic. Why can't you get that through your thick skull. This is a very basic solution while we have had much better for years but since it has AMD branding it's somehow magical. Seems like you completely ignored the DF video/OP source like you did in all my threads.
I didn't deny that, Infact I've directly acknowledged it twice. Improve your reading comprehension.

The existence of alternatives doesn't make me hate FSR. I agree other upscalers look better, but that doesn't mean FSR looks bad.

There is no logic at all to repeatedly crying about the fact that other upscalers have been out for a while. Not being first to the party doesn't mean there's no point in showing up, and unless these other upslacers are suddenly going to become completely agnostic, FSR can at the very least potentially serve as a better than nothing upscaler for games that don't use anything else.

And again I will repeat what I've already said since it seems like you missed it. I think FSR looks good not great but good, though I am a little confused as to why AMD chose not to use any temporal information at all. I wonder if they may iterate on FSR in the future and add some temporal sampling that would help keep image quality more on par with other scalers.

No one cares if you like it or not, but your opinion is clearly beyond reason and logic and only serves to expose your bias. Just be reasonable man.

·
PC Evangelist
47,665 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: rdr09

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,744 Posts
DLSS explains exactly what their software does. "Deep Learning Super Sampling"

AMD's the one that uses stupid branding: FidelityFX Super Resolution
There is nothing AI related on what Nvidia sells.

They took a task, created a long complicated equation, they kept it run on GPU cores for some time, and the results were imported as "best profile" data for upscaling.

·
OCN is bad civilization
3,719 Posts
My RX 570, 1060,1660, and 1660 Super will benefit much. Heck, even my 5700 and 5700XT are ready for this.
As an owner of GTX 970, I hope for some FSR action too. Especially when that LG 27GP850 shows up.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Dismissing such technologies with "why would you need it" as something just for low-end is just not very thoughtful, it is an extra performance that you can utilize in whatever way you please, on low-end you can use it to get out of misery, and on high-end you can use it to push the boundaries. Everyone needs more performance all the same.
The point is not about dismissing the technology.
The point is, how much, this technology is available.

Nvidia is a software fortress and closed IP company.
AMD do what it can, often badly, when it deals with software.

Game development changed a lot, to the point that major advances in graphics, as you said, are now locked behind a door.
OpenCl is now dead and everyone wants to go the Cuda Nvidia route.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,631 Posts
The point is not about dismissing the technology.
The point is, how much, this technology is available.

Nvidia is a software fortress and closed IP company.
AMD do what it can, often badly, when it deals with software.

Game development changed a lot, to the point that a major advance in graphics, as you said, are now locked behind a door.
OpenCl is now dead and everyone wants to go the Cuda Nvidia route.
Considering all of the current and next gen consoles minus the switch are fully based on AMD hardware, something tells me devs are going to be spending a lot of time working on AMD hardware, no matter their preference.

·
Iconoclast
31,436 Posts
This is another image quality cheat.
So is half the stuff done to render any real-time 3D scene.

Ultimately, what matters is what percieved IQ can be achieved and what it costs. How we achieve it is almost wholly academic.

I'm going to say FSR is BETTER than DLSS for the vast majority of consumers atm. Why?

1) More consumers can use it. DLSS is limited to RTX cards
At the moment, FSR is limited to a tiny handful of games.

2) RTX cards don't really need upscaling to anything but 4k and only 2060-3070 cards. 3080 and above can do 4k native just fine
There are games where my significantly OCed 3080 will not provide the performance I'm looking for at 4k, even without any ray tracing. Once significant ray tracing enters the picture, there are essentially zero GPUs that will handle better than 1440p native.

Note* I am omitting the number of games that use either
Being able to use it or not is one of, if not the most important consideration of any feature.

I mean, I for one who owns a 6800XT won't find it that much useful these days since everything runs pretty fine on it on native resolution..
Plenty of stuff doesn't run anywhere near fine at 4k on my 2.5-2.6GHz 6800XT either.

you can even use Balanced mode instead of Quality and double your performance without meaningful quality loss
I'm fairly impressed with some of the more recent implementations of DLSS, and I'll certainly make use of it where I feel it's a net gain, but I've yet to see a title where I couldn't immediately tell it wasn't running at native resolution...unless the scene was so dark that there was nothing to see in the periphery.

As for antialiasing, all but the most basic upscalers do a pretty good job with this, especially at higher resolutions.

There are a lot of terrible TAA implementations floating around in DLSS supporting games (seems like half the UE4 engine games deliberately blur the crap out of everything with overly aggressive TAA), that DLSS replaces when enabled, make DLSS look that much better by comparison. Fix the underlying AA and it's generally a non-issue.

I am a little confused as to why AMD chose not to use any temporal information at all. I wonder if they may iterate on FSR in the future and add some temporal sampling that would help keep image quality more on par with other scalers.
Simpler integration, broader potential compatibility, and speed of development are probably why. Lower overhead as well.

I suspect FSR, in it's current incarnation, is mostly a stopgap until AMD has a competent DirectML temporal upscaler. After which it may still be a useful legacy fallback for older APIs and cards.

• Rep+
Reactions: UltraMega

·
Registered
248 Posts
Considering all of the current and next gen consoles minus the switch are fully based on AMD hardware, something tells me devs are going to be spending a lot of time working on AMD hardware, no matter their preference.
It has been already the case, since the XBox360 and the PS4.
Draw your own conclusions.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.