Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Vandelay Industries
2,501 Posts
At the moment, FSR is limited to a tiny handful of games.

There are games where my significantly OCed 3080 will not provide the performance I'm looking for at 4k, even without any ray tracing. Once significant ray tracing enters the picture, there are essentially zero GPUs that will handle better than 1440p native.

Being able to use it or not is one of, if not the most important consideration of any feature.
Being day 1 that's why I omitted them. It's the same reason I wasn't critical of dlss on day 1 for lack of games. If there is still a lack of games in a year like there was for dlss...I'll be critical. I also was, and still am critical of Dlss for being limited to rtx only. The fact that it's not limited to this "gen" of AMD cards is the biggest positive of the whole deal. That's where dlss falls flat in comparison...its' hardware limitation.

Now if we could get some 1080p love for the low end.....that would be something!

·
Graphics Junkie
3,631 Posts
It has been already the case, since the XBox360 and the PS4.
Draw your own conclusions.
I don't know what that's supposed to mean. Developers have gotten a lot out of last gen consoles so if anything, their track record for optimizing on AMD hardware is quite good.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,767 Posts
Ultimately, what matters is what percieved IQ can be achieved and what it costs. How we achieve it is almost wholly academic.
This sums up all of my thoughts. I'm just happy we have more technology and solutions than before. Irrespective of your preference. Upscaling, DLSS, FSR... all different options to help consumers optimize IQ and performance.

I never run my games fully maxed out unless I have ample headroom that succeeds my displays refresh rate. Anything or any feature that can help maintain a high level of IQ and performance is a win in my books. Extending these features to older hardware, especially during the pandemic / mining boom, is even better.

I'm curious to see how FSR evolves and what Nvidia's response will be.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,631 Posts
Just want to add a few thoughts:

I've been gaming at 4K for years now, I have a lot of experience playing with scaling settings for various games. I can say for certain that low quality aliased edges are way more noticeable than texture detail in 4K. The best part of 4K is the impact it has on reducing aliasing, but at the same time games have more and more complex geometry which makes the issue of aliasing worse.

It's important to be aware and keep in mind that modern games with a lot of vegetation will look vastly worse at 4K native with no AA than they will at 80% of 4K with TAA. The idea of rendering in 4K native is nice, but rarely makes sense for demanding games because even if you get decent performance, it's almost always worth it to get even more performance for a 20% pixel count reduction. 30% is where it starts to become much more obviously noticeable.

With that in mind, FSR does a good job cleaning up edges and that's really the most important aspect of targeting 4K.

• Rep+
Reactions: Mr.N00bLaR

·
PC Evangelist
47,665 Posts
It has been already the case, since the XBox360 and the PS4.
Draw your own conclusions.
Last gen consoles while AMD had mostly CPU limitation. Also AMD was so busy failing that they never benefited from that. Nvidia also tailored their Maxwell/Pascal arch to speed up console games.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.