Witcher 3:

AC: Unity

Far Cry 4:

Crysis 3:

CoD: Advanced Warfare:

Battlefield 4:

Middle-earth: SoM

Source:

Props to Digital Foundry for finally nipping this one in the bud. Seems though the sweet spot for DDR4 and gaming is 3000MHz and the best results are when you overclock your CPU alongside using faster memory.

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
I miss the days when you'd have walls of text and graphs. Not everyone has youtube at work, ya know!
biggrin.gif

·
Banned
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaker View Post

I miss the days when you'd have walls of text and graphs. Not everyone has youtube at work, ya know!
biggrin.gif
I posted 8 Graphs, unless your workplace is blocking them they are all there.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

I posted 8 Graphs, unless your workplace is blocking them they are all there.
You did, but they're screen caps of games, and if someone is at work, well that's a dead giveaway. Spreadsheets are so much more "business like." Reminds me I need a boss key.

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,619 Posts
Surprised and slightly disappointed not having Fallout 4 on the list due to how well it takes to the Cache+MEM overclock. Otherwise great review! Informative and well delivered.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Same thing applies for older systems ? For example on a Z77 platform, going from 1866 to 2400mhz, will the increase be similar?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
"Ram speed doesn't matter" has been debunked years ago, but people chose to ignore it because... well, everyone is an expert right?
http://www.overclock.net/t/1366657/ddr3-1600-vs-2133-is-there-a-difference-in-game/0_20

Then comes DF and suddenly everyone agrees. Lol.
rolleyes.gif

I'd like to see the faces of people who stuck by the bare minimum of RAM speed in DDR3/DDR4 instead of choosing to buy faster mem with better ICs. Even more hilarious are those who would say that OCing RAM is a complete waste of time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My understanding is that CPUs with more power were less likely to see an impact by being coupled with faster RAM. I.e. if an overclocked 6700k was put through the same test the results wouldn't be as drastic. I may be incorrect, but that's what I always have seen.

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetyhunter View Post

Same thing applies for older systems ? For example on a Z77 platform, going from 1866 to 2400mhz, will the increase be similar?
With BF3, I went from 1600mhz to 2400mhz and there was a significant change to the min FPS. Everything was a lot smoother and it really benefited the game.

I suspect the higher up you go, the smaller the returns are.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Wow wow wee wow, vary nice... wasn't expecting those results. I guess I was part of the memory speed doesn't matter that much group.
redface.gif

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenkr View Post

"Ram speed doesn't matter" has been debunked years ago, but people chose to ignore it because... well, everyone is an expert right?
http://www.overclock.net/t/1366657/ddr3-1600-vs-2133-is-there-a-difference-in-game/0_20

rolleyes.gif

I'd like to see the faces of people who stuck by the bare minimum of RAM speed in DDR3/DDR4 instead of choosing to buy faster mem with better ICs. Even more hilarious are those who would say that OCing RAM is a complete waste of time.
?

Same thing here. Very little difference between RAM speeds once you OC the chip. There's always a "baseline" RAM speed to shoot for after which point you hit diminishing returns. More =/= better.

·
Banned
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

While this is true and always has been true (especially for those who are using Crossfire or SLI setups), and of course even outside of gaming. Sometimes trying to fight against the majority isn't worth the aggravation when many mainstream sources claim that "Ram Speed Doesn't Matter." They perpetuate this misinformation and it becomes quite difficult to break people's assurance on the idea because of the fact that so many mainstream outlets are outright claiming that memory speed has no effect on system performance. The sad part is, not only do they make claims that "memory speed does not affect gaming performance" the majority of them outright claim that it has no impact while doing other tasks, which is even more ridiculous.

One of my first upgrades I did on my computer when I first built "Kymatica" was going from 8GB of DDR3-1600 to 16GB of DDR3-2133. I instantly noticed many various improvements not only in gaming performance (most notably minimum framerate increases were drastic) but just day to day tasks felt much faster than on 1600MHz memory e.g. Extracting zip/rar files, opening up folders, encoding mp3s, shut down times, restart times, opening up programs, etc. basically any normal function you would do on your computer felt much snappier and it was way beyond placebo effect. I also noticed quite often that I was getting much better framerates in games compared to other people with similar specs, and more often than not it would be because they were running slower memory with worse timings (showing that it is the Cas Latency being the culprit in the end).

I also always wondered why people complained about stuttering, hitching, and many other similar issues while gaming. When I can't remember once in my entire PC Gaming life ever experiencing stuttering or hitching even going back 12 years ago and it was always because either A) I overclocked my memory or B) I ran the faster stuff to begin with.

·
Performance is the bible
7,200 Posts
It looks like the i5 really shines with faster memory.
But I wonder the implications of the memory OC and multi cores.
Does the 6500 shines with memory OC because it doesn't have enough cores to run the game which requires a much more memory work to switch threads?
I don't remember that much fps increase on the I7s (X99 or Z170) for example when pushing memory higher.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

It still is a waste of time. For me, gaining 2-8 fps from ram OC when I'm already at 80 or over is complete waste of time.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Hard ocp did a Ram speed comparison in their initial 6700k review from 2133 up to 3600 although they didnt show the timings they used for each speed, they showed definite gains. Maybe not on the same scale as in the op to be fair, but it probably depends on the games as well.

http://m.hardocp.com/article/2015/08/05/intel_skylake_core_i76700k_ipc_overclocking_review/6#.Voz1ZYpFDMI

Other guys have tested this here in OCN and shown the same with DDR3 scaling in CPU limited gaming situations. Fair play for posting
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 191 Posts