Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
"Major trends in client computing have shifted the market away from a focus on personal computers to a broader device perspective that includes smartphones, tablets and other consumer devices," said Steve Kleynhans, research vice president at Gartner, according to a press release. "Emerging cloud services will become the glue that connects the web of devices that users choose to access during the different aspects of their daily life."
Source

I know this again...OEM sellers are at it constantly predicting the demise completely ignoring certain Thick applications that do not have the backbone in the "Cloud". When you look at what is actually done on PC's you see work that CANNOT be performed out of the cloud efficiently today.

They even have the gall to quote business as being a target for this. No doubt my company is targetted every day by someone trying to sell a cloud solution. We bring up "security infrastructure & guarantees in writing with $ penalties??" and it's deer in headlights.

The article completely bypasses "Work" on PC's. I know of no one who can work on a Tablet doing their normal job. Just because Tablets and Cell phones are all the rage , they are Toys, and using their rise in sales is highly misleading when talking about the demise of the PC.

Using the rise of Tablets is the wrong argument for pushing the demise of PC's as work machines in businesses imo.

You ask anyone in my company and they will say you can take my PC/Laptop from my "Cold Dead Hands". Not to mention PCI Security, Sox, and other audit requirements that are getting more stringent every quarter.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
i also predict that in 2 years there will eb another buzzword to replace mainframe i mean er remote hosting er i mean off site backupi mean er cloud

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Sure it could happen, if the cloud was more secure and service providers offered us unlimited high speed internet!! but until that day, this will never happen

·
Premium Member
6,441 Posts
Bandwidth caps and concurrent data stream limitations will prevent this from happening.

Sorry, but for this to happen, we're going to need a data pipe that's about 100x the size of what it is now.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Like others have said, good luck getting me to do my job on a cell phone/tablet. It's either impossible or highly inefficient.

As much as I love my smart phone, it's not bringing the demise of the PC. Instead it's bringing a rise in a parallel industry.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Cloud rofl April fools?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
You think I'll let you have the power to shut me off from my files? Think again.

• Rep+
Reactions: Karasu

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
I do see home desktops (and even laptops) becoming less and less popular with the advancement of hardware going into tablets and phones. It's really getting to the point where *most* of the things your *average* computer user does can be easily accomplished with a tablet (processing-power wise, not input-wise--I would still think keyboards and mice to be preferable to any of the touch interfaces used so far). Other things that are more-enthusiast (media transcoding, gaming, etc.) is not going anywhere anytime soon. I think I said this in another thread, but with the advancement of tablets and phones, and with the advent of "smart" televisions, computers are becoming less and less of a necessity for general use. You practically don't even need a HTPC anymore given the offerings of "smart" TVs.

But by 2014? No. I wonder if there will even be a noticeable change in the number of desktop and/or laptop computers in the home.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
CAD / CAE on a tablet? Give me a break.

Yes, it would be great to set up a CFD / FEA analysis on my desktop and fire it off to a cloud server to run. It would shorten run times and reduce the time I sit round doing nothing. But trying to set that up on a 10" screen? Forget it. I currently sit behind two 23" widescreens and even then I find myself running out of screen estate for big models.

Add to that security and reliability concerns and it is looking even more doubtful. I used to do some work on the Astute submarine project, we were in a locked room and all our work was stored on a dedicated server in a safe in that room with no access to the internet. Try selling them a cloud service.

I think for the executives who do nothing but write e-mails and check the size of their bonus package this might be fine, but for the people who actually do the work the laptop and desktop is going to be arround for some time to come.

Oh, and from the article:
Quote:
of all the major PC manufacturers, only Apple saw a significant increase in sales
I'm a PC, and so is Apple!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Internet speeds aren't high enough and the cloud is still in it's infancy. Companies will always take guaranteed reliable local computing to a cloud.
- chmodlabs

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Pshhh, nope.

Cloud is a gimmick in hosting and it is a gimmick here too. Long live dedicated servers and PCs!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts