Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Original 16-bit Genesis®
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cryptocurrency mining chill has weakened demand for graphics cards, with suppliers planning to axe prices trying to clear their inventory. Sales of ASIC mining systems have also been significantly impacted by the stagnant demand, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

The sources pointed out that graphics card prices are expected to see an average drop of around 20% in July, while the dramatic slowdown in orders for mining ASICs will also negatively affect revenues at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) as well as its IC design service partners, such as Global Unichip, in 2018.

The dwindling profitability has sent small-to-medium mining firms gradually bowing out from the market, while large mining firms have also cut their procurements of new machines.
https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180629PD204.html

The Crypto Apocalypse seems to be officially over for now.

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,541 Posts
Having mined for Bitcoins when they were only worth a few bucks, I'm amazed at how crypto has always had the history of dying and bouncing back up. I'm not happy with what it does with the GPU market, but this last round was very rough compared to any of the previous peaks.

·
Premium Member
8,230 Posts
I would love to see AMD and nVidia make mining specific GPUs and block regular GPU's for gaming on the driver level. I had to turn down so many friend's computers to be built because I couldn't justify them paying an extra 200-300 for a video card because of the crap show that was going.

·
2,327 Posts
I would love to see AMD and nVidia make mining specific GPUs and block regular GPU's for gaming on the driver level. I had to turn down so many friend's computers to be built because I couldn't justify them paying an extra 200-300 for a video card because of the crap show that was going.
Yeah, miners can go buy special cards without warranty and display outputs. I hope their greed bites them in the ass some day. They want their cake and eat it too by reselling half-burned cards to gamers.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Why would they want that? If mining crashes everyone in the supply chain from the Mfg to retailer is stuck with worthless gpus they can’t sell. That’s also ignoring the fact that they all use the same parts, so any shortage will affect both product lines. Amd and Nvidia are huge corporations that are in it to make money, not be the gamers friend.

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
Yeah, miners can go buy special cards without warranty and display outputs. I hope their greed bites them in the ass some day. They want their cake and eat it too by reselling half-burned cards to gamers.
that would split the production lines then, it would only add to the shortage of regular GPUs.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
So you'd reduce the amount of gaming GPUs being made so that only miners could have them? Also Nvidia and AMD would then have to have another GPU line which is super volatile. They'd sell out on day one so they'd ramp up production only to get stuck with them later.
The problem wasn't that miners were simply buying up all the cards, the biggest issue I saw was AIBs selling to miners by the truck load with huge bulk discounts and avoiding the inflated pricing so gamers never even had a chance to buy one.

Not sure why people keep saying used mining cards are burnt up when there is no evidence of it, modern mining is heavy on the ram and ram is pretty hard to kill. Buying a mining card would be like buying a used server part. It's not like mining farms are running them on the verge of throttling, they're run at stock speeds or lower to save power. Many of the farms I've seen are very well ventilated as well.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You are joking right ? Why would anybody buy ANYTHING without warranty ? Thats crazy you would have to be a fool to do something like that

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
prices been down since June

·
TEC Veteran
2,007 Posts
Used mining cards are a better buy than used gaming cards.

They are underclocked instead of overclocked, under steady load instead of constant fluctuations in temp and power draw(which is bad for the solder and a reason why some dead cards can be revived by "baking"), most of the stress is on the tough GDDR and memory controller instead of the GPU, and they are never overvolted. Also, they are usually even cheaper since seller have so many of them. They have life easy compared to an overclocker, benchmarker, or gamer. Just have to watch out for the guys who pack em too tightly and let them run hot, since most have cheap sleeve bearing fans that are prone to leaking out the grease and seizing up...but that is no big deal if you plan on watercooling it or putting a different cooler on anyway.

I can't wait for some used mining Vega64s to hit the markets to throw in my personal rig to replace the two 580s I have now (that I pulled from my mining card stash lol).

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The biggest problem with miners is not just the inflated price and global shortage. The worst is that it forcefully delay the released of next gen GPUs, which is what pissed me the most.

Nvidia should take all the GPUs and mine them themselves to monopolized the entire crypto market, forcing Block chain developers to ditch using GPUs as a mining device. Also implement all hardware level control to lock all communication (mining, computation & gaming) between GPUs within a single CPU. Only a SLI / NVLink bridge can unlock them and even so you can only connect 2 cards at max per system.

This way you cannot form a rack connecting all the GPU in a single chipset and run like a miracle. You will be force to buy a CPU / Mobo / RAM for every 2 GPUs used. Deterring all those who runs mining farm (especially china)

·
Robocop is #1 movie ever
2,190 Posts
The biggest problem with miners is not just the inflated price and global shortage. The worst is that it forcefully delay the released of next gen GPUs, which is what pissed me the most.

Nvidia should take all the GPUs and mine them themselves to monopolized the entire crypto market, forcing Block chain developers to ditch using GPUs as a mining device. Also implement all hardware level control to lock all communication (mining, computation & gaming) between GPUs within a single CPU. Only a SLI / NVLink bridge can unlock them and even so you can only connect 2 cards at max per system.

This way you cannot form a rack connecting all the GPU in a single chipset and run like a miracle. You will be force to buy a CPU / Mobo / RAM for every 2 GPUs used. Deterring all those who runs mining farm (especially china)
Seems like you will find something to be angry about regardless of how the situation changes. Six months ago you were mad at miners for the shortage (though you were likely not even in the market for a card) and now you are saying mining is causing a delay in new architecture being released. Come on man.

As to your NVlink statement, this proposal would cripple all manners of research at universities, national labs, and in private industry. We are currently building machines for LANL, Lawrence Livermore, Sandia, and Oak Ridge. 4-6 Titan Volta SXM2 GPUs per node with power9 processors. Mining is just a form of the compute work that is used for all kinds of other things.

Machine learning uses a huge volume of GPUs too, not just Titans or Tesla cards but 1080s, 1080Tis.

·
waifu for lifu
11,318 Posts
I'm just picturing the gamers who bought cards during the peak of the gpu shortage. Ouch. The only way for the current cards to drop further is when we get near the next cycle. I'm hoping its sooner than later. We wont see Vega until 2019. I'm guessing nvidia will show us something this summer/fall.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Seems like you will find something to be angry about regardless of how the situation changes. Six months ago you were mad at miners for the shortage (though you were likely not even in the market for a card) and now you are saying mining is causing a delay in new architecture being released. Come on man.

As to your NVlink statement, this proposal would cripple all manners of research at universities, national labs, and in private industry. We are currently building machines for LANL, Lawrence Livermore, Sandia, and Oak Ridge. 4-6 Titan Volta SXM2 GPUs per node with power9 processors. Mining is just a form of the compute work that is used for all kinds of other things.

Machine learning uses a huge volume of GPUs too, not just Titans or Tesla cards but 1080s, 1080Tis.
I am pissed at both global shortage as well as delay in GPU released. They are inter-link and dependent. Once the mining market suddenly crash there is over supply of GPUs which impede upcoming GPUs releases. Go figure.

Also there is a reason why Quadro exist. Enterprise, universities, national labs, and in private industry all those uses Tesla / Quadro professional card, and as a matter of fact Nvidia can always unlock the multi-GPU functionality for professional card. Heck they can do it even for $3000 Titans. Anything as long as they can deter Miner for trying to grab cheap GPU to earn money. A titan would be a very good choice cos it is sold directly through Nvidia and they only limit 2 cards per customer.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
that would split the production lines then, it would only add to the shortage of regular GPUs.
Well, and miners would just flash the bios on gamer grade GPUs defeating the purpose.

OT I expected that the crash would be more dramatic than this. At some point we will see an huge influx of used RX 480/580/1070 and similar GPUs on the market. It looks like mining is still profitable enough to keep what GPUs they have but not to invest much more in new gear. At some point the prospect of reselling will be more enticing than retaining ownership.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Used mining cards are a better buy than used gaming cards.

They are underclocked instead of overclocked, under steady load instead of constant fluctuations in temp and power draw(which is bad for the solder and a reason why some dead cards can be revived by "baking"), most of the stress is on the tough GDDR and memory controller instead of the GPU, and they are never overvolted. Also, they are usually even cheaper since seller have so many of them. They have life easy compared to an overclocker, benchmarker, or gamer. Just have to watch out for the guys who pack em too tightly and let them run hot, since most have cheap sleeve bearing fans that are prone to leaking out the grease and seizing up...but that is no big deal if you plan on watercooling it or putting a different cooler on anyway.

I can't wait for some used mining Vega64s to hit the markets to throw in my personal rig to replace the two 580s I have now (that I pulled from my mining card stash lol).
sounds like someone has some mining GPU's to sell...

remember that all hardware has a MTBF (mean time before failure) which means the hardware doesn't last forever and will die after a certain amount of use. Since mining cards are turned on 24/7, they are likely to die very soon. Would I recommend buying a used card from a gamer now? no. Would I recommend buying a new card now? no. At this point, I feel it's best to wait ~4 months for black friday. If the new cards are released on black friday, get the new ones, if not, the 1070/80 ti's should be on its lowest price until black friday 2019.

·
Pharmacology is FUN
1,904 Posts
Well, and miners would just flash the bios on gamer grade GPUs defeating the purpose.

OT I expected that the crash would be more dramatic than this. At some point we will see an huge influx of used RX 480/580/1070 and similar GPUs on the market. It looks like mining is still profitable enough to keep what GPUs they have but not to invest much more in new gear. At some point the prospect of reselling will be more enticing than retaining ownership.

Agree. After the last mining "Crash" there were so many 290/x and 7870/270/x etc on the used market that there was very little reason to buy a new gpu. I don't see this at all now.

*Edited for readability

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

Wow..... SMH
I... am.... at... a..... loss.... for........ words

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Why do people think Nvidia wants to sell less GPUs?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts