Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I have a gigabyte mobo with 3 dim slots. I have 512mb of Kingston HyperX 2x256. Can i put a 512 stick in with the other 256s as long as they are the same speed to get 1gb, or am i stuck with going 768mb? Thanks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If you add 512mb to your system you will get 1gb of RAM.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack

If you add 512mb to your system you will get 1gb of RAM.

Thanks, i was not sure if you could mix differnet sizes of ram sticks. Thankyou guys.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by enwelz

Hey there, I have a gigabyte mobo with 3 dim slots. I have 512mb of Kingston HyperX 2x256. Can i put a 512 stick in with the other 256s as long as they are the same speed to get 1gb, or am i stuck with going 768mb? Thanks.

Pleaste take note of a rule of hand from the A+ certification textbook, when installign different sized RAM chip you will get better performatnce placing the RAM form largest chip to smallest chip order. For your config you need to have DIMM 1 = 512mb
DIMM 2 = 256mb
DIMM 3 = 256mb

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Hold on. There's an exception to this with Athlon 64s. Check your manual, some, most actually, Athlon 64 boards will not support 8 banks (2 double sided DIMMS) of DDR400 and it will down clock them to DDR333. Check your manual to make sure.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I'd also like to point out that when overclocking an Athlon 64 on Socket 754 with a single channel memory controler, it is ALWAYS better to have one memory stick. Not sure why, but the chip addresses one module of memory better than 2 and therefore overclocks much better. I'm trying to get my hands on some technical book based solely on the K8 architecture so I can figure this stuff out....

·
Registered
698 Posts
yeah if youre using 754 anad have the money, you are better off getting a 1x1024 stick of memory than what you have currently. I mean with 2x512 of ballistix, my overclock is totally killed. I cant even make 250fsb.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Not to concerend about the overclock atm

What i am thinking of buying:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...144-132&depa=0

Will it work with:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...144-169&depa=0

The PC 3700 is actualy cheaper than the pc3200 stick. Any input?

Yes they will work together, any 184 pin DDR RAM will work with your mobo.
If all are over PC3200 you have legroom for overclocking and if they do not match PC# then it will all clock to your lowest (PC3200).

If all installed RAm is higher than your mobo max, then the RAM will be underclocked to your mobo max mhz.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.