Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just built my new rig here and it's been an uphill battle to get it setup. My motherboard came with a monitoring program that includes temps and voltages. How do these voltages sound:

+12V = 11.45V
+5.0V = 4.99V
+3.3V = 3.26V
+1.5v = 1.5V

These are under idle conditions. I've noticed that my PS bounces between 10.43V and 11.31 on the 12V rail when I use the DVD burner ... that's not good. The other two are stable. What could be causing this? Do I have a junk PS? Or is this whole model supply just a lousy design? When I turn on my cold cathode too, the 12v rail drops to 10.5v and stays around there... hmm .... is it time for me to get an RMA form from Newegg? Or can I just go into the BIOS and crank it up? Please forgive me, I'm new to such things as modifying the PS rails and overclocking...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbescup

Hey everyone, just built my new rig here and it's been an uphill battle to get it setup. My motherboard came with a monitoring program that includes temps and voltages. How do these voltages sound:

+12V = 11.45V
+5.0V = 4.99V
+3.3V = 3.26V
+1.5v = 1.5V

These are under idle conditions. I've noticed that my PS bounces between 10.43V and 11.31 on the 12V rail when I use the DVD burner ... that's not good. The other two are stable. What could be causing this? Do I have a junk PS? Or is this whole model supply just a lousy design? When I turn on my cold cathode too, the 12v rail drops to 10.5v and stays around there... hmm .... is it time for me to get an RMA form from Newegg? Or can I just go into the BIOS and crank it up? Please forgive me, I'm new to such things as modifying the PS rails and overclocking...

If it's not causing any problems don;t be too worried about it. I'd be worried about OVER spikes than under spikes... try a better surge protector... sometimes they can mess up your power stream. (Kind of liek when the lights dim when you turn on your big 19" CRT monitor) I run my computers on a dedicated line from the fusebox and i never get any voltage jumps.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you don't think that dipping rail has anything to do with the quality of the PS? I know we do have very weak power here in this house so you might be on to something.... if my roommates use the space heater and the microwave at the same time it trips the breaker here. pffft. Do you think it's just a lame input signal?

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
i'd check thoughs rails with a multimeter and try using another PSU known for its high quality like a Tagan 480w.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts