Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Good god, I would hope so! 545 watts?

I saw someone on OCN selling 62mm water blocks and cold plates, too.

As a followup, you have no capitals in your thread title, and all caps in your actual post. Spread the capital love around a bit.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
didnt mean to use all caps, just using a new keyboard and hit cap lock by accident, next time i will go all or go home, huh.. lo... ok, just got a 125watt and it didnt do sh**. i mean i got 10degees at stock vcore, but 77 at OC, so 125 is no good i guess.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
An H50 seems a little weak for a 125 watt TEC. I bet you'd see an improvement with a bigger radiator.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its an h50 with dual 250CFM fans.. lol.. its a beast of a cooler i get 35idle and 45load with 965 at 4.3. i just want to hit 5ghz... lol

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Yeah, but the peltier is giving you twice the heat load. It's not something that you can really handle with a 120mm radiator, no matter how much airflow you have. You just don't have the surface area.

·
Premium Member
11,201 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant
View Post

Yeah, but the peltier is giving you twice the heat load. It's not something that you can really handle with a 120mm radiator, no matter how much airflow you have. You just don't have the surface area.

+1

You are going to need dedicated wc'ing really.

How are you using the peltier with the h50? You know you can't just clamp the peltier inbetween the h50 and the cpu right? It needs a massive amount of even pressure all over it on both sides.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i never used a peltier before, obviously just ordered some off ebay. liked the theory. well time to get that water cooling system i have been thinking about all this time

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
You'll need an even bigger radiator if you go with a bigger peltier.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol.... well with the 125. i used a old cpu cooler, and a 300 watt spu, u soldier it to the 12volt, and it didnt get that cold, cold enough to free water , but only have like 3-4 minutes, i gues i need to learn a little more before i used these things

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
It will absolutely not work.

You need a cold plate. The TEC moves heat across it's entire surface. The IHS is much smaller than 62x62mm TEC so it won't cover the IHS. In addition, the IHS heat load is not distributed evenly.

Also, how do you plan to power the TEC? You need a variable DC PSU to adjust the voltage to match the load.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Good god, I would hope so! 545 watts?

This TEC can not move 545watts of heat it uses 545watt of electricity . This TEC moves 350-360wats of heat. E-bay sellers like to advertise their TEC based on Pmax not Qmax to make them appear more powerful to people that know nothing about TEC's

Quote:

View Post

Yeah, but the peltier is giving you twice the heat load.

This statement is based on nothing. this TEC wont draw 1090watts of electricity since it's
A not a 545Qmax TEC
B The amount of electricity a TEC uses is dependant on a number of factors like input power relative to Umax . the hotside temp a TEC is running at . the load applied to the cold side .

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhandy65
View Post

didnt mean to use all caps, just using a new keyboard and hit cap lock by accident, next time i will go all or go home, huh.. lo... ok, just got a 125watt and it didnt do sh**. i mean i got 10degees at stock vcore, but 77 at OC, so 125 is no good i guess.

That is why there is an EDIT button

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 (muffy)
View Post

This TEC can not move 545watts of heat it uses 545watt of electricity . This TEC moves 350-360wats of heat. E-bay sellers like to advertise their TEC based on Pmax not Qmax to make them appear more powerful to people that know nothing about TEC's

Actually, I know that. However, you would hope that a 545 watt TEC could move a big heat load.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 (muffy)

This statement is based on nothing. this TEC wont draw 1090watts of electricity since it's
A not a 545Qmax TEC
B The amount of electricity a TEC uses is dependant on a number of factors like input power relative to Umax . the hotside temp a TEC is running at . the load applied to the cold side .

Actually, my comment was based on the fact that his quad core uses roughly 100ish watts and his TEC added another 100ish, and that it all has to get into the water loop. It was not based on the 545 watt TEC.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do u need a cold plate if the peltier is the same size at the IHS? and i was just using old power supplys that i have kicking around. some are 20amp and some are up to 40amp. those should be sufficent right?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so i got it to work, but it seem that i cant get good temps at high vcore. why is that. peltier isnt strong enough right? i have it hooked up to 12v 28amp dc converter. not variable though. here is my stock with peltier-----

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
um a 125 TEC isn't never going to be enough to cool a modern CPU. can you please provide a link to the one you bought

and really you need a cold plate even is the tec is the same size as your CPU and Water block cos you need to apply a huge amount of pressure to the TEC

12 volts really isn't enough any way as you wont be moving all of the 125watt cos you under volted it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts