Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were worrying about Direct X 10, well I have some news for you. Microsoft's next Direct X revision will be Direct X 9.0L, it is compatible with current generation Direct X 9 hardware and adds support for SM4 among other things and will be the Direct X revision used by Vista for its Aero Glass visual theme thingy. Direct X 10 will likely ship with Vista also but it is not required so you don't have to upgrade your graphics to use Vista (Hence the Vista ready sticker on the boxes of the 7900 series and some other new graphis cards)

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26220
http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/2247/38/
http://www.addict3d.org/index.php?pa...t%20Direct%20X
http://www.webprowire.com/summaries/1130394.html

Take your pick of sites, since most of use don't trust the Inq any more LOL!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
[sarcasm] Please note that the "L" in Direct X 9.0L stands for LAG[/sarcasm]

***EDIT

Why are you posting articles from September 2005??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,409 Posts
More like "L" for "Lame"
. I knew this whole DX10 wasn't going to be that bad. I still say that DX10 is a good thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
If you read these stories though they all link back the the Inquirer's story so I'm still taking this with a grain of salt because everything else I've read states that Vista will ship with and use DX 10.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,409 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinhead-227
Lag, huh? Will it be that much worse than DX9.0c? Will it be slower?

DX10 is a whole new thing built from the ground up, it won't use the older DX as a base like DX9 does. This suposed DX9L is but another spin of the same old DX we grew up with so it will be packed with unneccesary and useless code.

Edit: That article is ancient (in the computer world). Maybe Microsoft has already decide to scrap DX9.0L?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,069 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melcar
DX10 is a whole new thing built from the ground up, it won't use the older DX as a base like DX9 does. This suposed DX9L is but another spin of the same old DX we grew up with so it will be packed with unneccesary and useless code.

Edit: That article is ancient (in the computer world). Maybe Microsoft has already decide to scrap DX9.0L?
Hope not, 'cause DX9.0L would make our "old" cards a little more functional in Vista...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
what about my 6800Ultra? will it support the DX9L? if so... im not selling it... never!!! great vid card =]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,752 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421
[sarcasm] Please note that the "L" in Direct X 9.0L stands for LAG[/sarcasm]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melcar
More like "L" for "Lame"



Quote:

Originally Posted by Omri
what about my 6800Ultra?
Sell it and buy a better card for close to the same price. Why would anyone want to keep old technology? Sell it while it is still able to work decently and worth something. Soon you'll be saying kadish on that card.


R
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ropey


Sell it and buy a better card for close to the same price. Why would anyone want to keep old technology? Sell it while it is still able to work decently and worth something. Soon you'll be saying kadish on that card.


R
lol

hehe thats a nice one...
hmm for now its great...
can pref just fine... (see screenshots)...
is the 6800 really that old? i got it when it just came out... i think year + ago or even couple of years...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,947 Posts
6800Ultra/GT/GS are still very servicable cards.....they support SM3 just like the 7 series. The higher end 6*** series should last any gamer (on a budget) till DX10.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,688 Posts
Yeah there are no problems with the 6800 series...I believe that you will soon see alot of articles about how the 6800 series cards will be crap soon because companies are always trying to get you to buy a new card by making you think it is needed...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
117 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Strider_2001

Yeah there are no problems with the 6800 series...I believe that you will soon see alot of articles about how the 6800 series cards will be crap soon because companies are always trying to get you to buy a new card by making you think it is needed...

In order to sell someone something you need to make them feel bad about themselves.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,752 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Omri

lol

hehe thats a nice one...

Only you and I will get this joke I think


I'm just a firm believer in purchasing high end, keeping it until something better comes along and then selling the high end while it is still worth a decent resale value. That is why I would sell if I were you. See all these people telling you that it is still a decent card? That's because it is and you have had it for between a year and two. Now in another couple of years, how many of these people will be saying the same thing and what will that card be worth?

If you sold it now and bought a 7900GT(X) you can be sure that it will be worth more than the 6800.

Everyone has different methods of purchasing though. Some buy and sell at a great loss. Some buy and drive the hardware to the ground and buy anew.

My advice is more considerate of state of the art for the lowest consumptive price whilst still staying with that state of the art.

R
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
117 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ropey

Only you and I will get this joke I think


I'm just a firm believer in purchasing high end, keeping it until something better comes along and then selling the high end while it is still worth a decent resale value. That is why I would sell if I were you. See all these people telling you that it is still a decent card? That's because it is and you have had it for between a year and two. Now in another couple of years, how many of these people will be saying the same thing and what will that card be worth?

If you sold it now and bought a 7900GT(X) you can be sure that it will be worth more than the 6800.

Everyone has different methods of purchasing though. Some buy and sell at a great loss. Some buy and drive the hardware to the ground and buy anew.

My advice is more considerate of state of the art for the lowest consumptive price whilst still staying with that state of the art.

R


Hate to burst your bubble, but not everyone can buy the best of the best, especially when something new comes out as soon as stuff does. And that is a decent card. People said the same thing when the FX series cards came out. The low end FX series cards stink compared to to the Ti4xxx series. And for the people that only have boards with agp, can't exactly upgrade to the newest stuff die to pci-e.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,752 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Johnnie Walker

Hate to burst your bubble, but not everyone can buy the best of the best,

Ah, but when Omri bought his card it was the best of the best and I am posting this to him personally, not as a general rule of thumb for all to follow and it is just my personal advice to him. Thus you might be the one in the bubble thinking that I am stating this as a global method for all to follow.

R
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ropey

Ah, but when Omri bought his card it was the best of the best and I am posting this to him personally, not as a general rule of thumb for all to follow and it is just my personal advice to him. Thus you might be the one in the bubble thinking that I am stating this as a global method for all to follow.

R

hmm the thing is.... the israel prices isnt the prices that you buy... everything and i mean every thing is twice the price... and because not alot of people buy hardware often lots of hardware like GeForce 4 MX440 is still on sale... and be sure that the 6800Ultra is still on sale so my lost is great... nobody will buy my card for normal price if you can buy a new one for a really cheap price... so i need to go low... that suck... and now that all the new hardware cost even more (because the old hardware prices didnt drop alot and all the new hadware need to cost even more) i need to add alot of money... well israel suck!!!
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top