Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up. Just wanted to ask why many say that today's video card aren't compatible with DirectX10, and by the way howcome do we get pictures of some games running DirectX10 if today's GPUs weren't compatible? I mean, I updated an old Nvidia 4400 to DirectX 9.0c, so going from 9.0c to 10 is not impossible with high end cards.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,875 Posts
It has been stated.

·
Premium Member
6,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where has it been stated?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,875 Posts
In almost every interview with the creators/designers/workers on DX10. There about 10 videos on Gamestop on it, let alone interviews on almost every major PC-News site.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
where can i see dx10 in action? i'd like to see what im gettin for the money

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
You can see dx10 effects emulated on dx9 hardware in the crysis demos

the reason that you cannot upgrade dx level like in the past is that dx10 is completely rebuilt. it isn't just a patch to dx9

·
Registered
68 Posts
well, in fact ur 4400 is not hardware compatible with DX9.0c. Installing DX9.0c does not mean the card can run it. In the case ur card is not compatible, the CPU will do the job of rendering what ur card cannot render, thus giving the impression that even old cards can also run the latest DX.

also, i have heard that DX 10 is not backward compatible with DX 7, 8 and 9..... correct me if i am wrong

·
Registered
166 Posts
now if u buy a dx10 card, could it run dx9 stuff?

cause i upgrade in steps and for me vista+new graphics will be just too much money

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by idkfa1

cause i upgrade in steps and for me vista+new graphics will be just too much money
Yep, DX10 and DX9 coexist fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
hmm, official statement from Microsoft is that any card that is DX10 hardware compatible is not DX9 hardware compatible, but rumours have it that R600 of ATi is hardware compatible for both DX...... wonder......

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by idkfa1

i think XP is still fine, better to wait a while and let Microsoft solve the critical bugs.....

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidgnome229

I believe that that is correct. IIRC, dx10 hardware must emulate dx9 and such

taking valuable system resources with it...(maybe that's why they recommend 4gb of ram for Vista gaming)

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
dx10 might be the next thing but it will be delayed i bet until its not so resouce demanding, who honestly has 4 gigs of ram, a 500+ video card and 250+ on the fli when it comes out

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne

wow 4 gigs that will be like 400$ minimum on ram

Dollar sign goes before the numerical value.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigpoppaFrary

dx10 might be the next thing but it will be delayed i bet until its not so resouce demanding

that reminds me, is DX10 coming out together with Vista, or will it be DX9.L instead???

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigpoppaFrary

and 250+ on the fli when it comes out

???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts