Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I am aware that a computer with prolonged usage in any environment will naturally 'collect dust'.

I need to know this though.

What are the different environments and the effects of the dust?

E.g., someone who powders their body/face often will have a computer that's clogged with fine grey dust that wipes off easily, but leaves surfaces feeling dusty.

A bedroom setting will see the dust being white and 'hairy', fabric related.

A computer used near or in a kitchen will develop a dust buildup that is black, oily and hard to remove.

Smoker areas will see the computer generating a hard, dry layer of dust on surfaces like the heatsink. Peels off at one go.

Can anyone else chime in on the effects of spray-can deodorant, and roadside/public open area use?

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

Now, I am aware that a computer with prolonged usage in any environment will naturally 'collect dust'.

I need to know this though.

What are the different environments and the effects of the dust?

E.g., someone who powders their body/face often will have a computer that's clogged with fine grey dust that wipes off easily, but leaves surfaces feeling dusty.

A bedroom setting will see the dust being white and 'hairy', fabric related.

A computer used near or in a kitchen will develop a dust buildup that is black, oily and hard to remove.

Smoker areas will see the computer generating a hard, dry layer of dust on surfaces like the heatsink. Peels off at one go.

Can anyone else chime in on the effects of spray-can deodorant, and roadside/public open area use?

As far as roadside dust, I am an engineering inspector and my laptop collects tons of particulates that can be abrasive if not removed properly. Air cans are the best way to remove that kind of dust in my experience. Simply put it is just fine dirt/rock/sand.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Volvo, I know you are in Singapore, but I got one of these:

from

here here
(see also item 7. in my sig). I never have to economize on my air blasting. You can probably get something similar on your side of the lake.

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume
View Post

Volvo, I know you are in Singapore, but I got one of these:

from here (see also item 7. in my sig). I never have to economize on my air blasting. You can probably get something similar on your side of the lake.

I have that exact model and I love it.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
a compressor is the best way IMHO but that super duster thingy seems to be the next best thing and is much more portable

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by twich12
View Post

a compressor is the best way IMHO but that super duster thingy seems to be the next best thing and is much more portable

One of my first jobs involved draining a compressor tank every morning before the factory got going. The act of compression squeezed the water out of the air.

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume
View Post

One of my first jobs involved draining a compressor tank every morning before the factory got going. The act of compression squeezed the water out of the air.

In other words it may be too powerful and could damage components.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Segovax
View Post

In other words it may be too powerful and could damage components.

Not at all. I use the medium nozzle - I love it. The other poster mentioned compressors. When you compress air the moisture capacity of the air is affected. Of course, compressing it warms the air. But let even a big tank stand overnight and it will get cool and the water will precipitate out, even in Southern California. So it was my task to let the water out of the tank before people started using it.

OTOH, our Data Vac pulls air in through a filter and blows out a warm stream to hit whatever we point it at. No chance for water to precipitate out - especially since the air is warmed by the impeller - put your hand out and feel it.

Anyway, with a choice of nozzles we have our choice of output. Look how clean it got my fan in item 7.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts