Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Breaker of Video Cards
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I never thought of doing. Would it be beneficial or detrimental if I disabled/removed Internet Explorer from the Programs and Features in the control panel.

I like to remove anything I don't need or use, just curious if I should do this or not. But ya just curious on anyone who has done this and what the results are if any!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
IIRC it is not possible i was also pursuing this idea and i think i came to the dead end of no you cannot since IE is built into the OS

·
Breaker of Video Cards
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by aldfig0
View Post

Why not download IE9 and use it? It's the fastest browser
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e-10,2909.html

I've used Firefox forever and it's still my favorite browser

Quote:

IIRC it is not possible i was also pursuing this idea and i think i came to the dead end of no you cannot since IE is built into the OS

Ya I kinda assumed that, just thinking about random things to remove or turn off.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
I've been running with IE disabled (as in, not-even-accessible disabled) on my system from day 1
No problems ever

You can disable it completely on Windows 7 (with option to re-enable if ever). You can't remove it, but you can disable it.

IE 9 is also definitely not the fastest browser.

·
Registered
593 Posts
There's no real detriment to disabling IE in Win7, but there is no real benefit, either. I had mine disabled for a while until I ran into a webpage that would only display properly in IE. Now I keep it enabled so I can have it for that very reason.

@labbu You can disable Internet Explorer by typing "Turn Windows features on or off" in your start menu. It doesn't remove IE, it just hides all traces of it so you can re-enable it quickly if you want to.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Internet Explorer is a skin and script on "explorer" the GUI that windows uses. Unless you use an antivirus or other active monitoring program to block its load, it can be forced to load by just about any script you run. Plus disabling much of it reduces the system security encapsulation of other programs. I keep my IE completely updated with everything and only use firefox because you MUST use IE to go to windows update and I'd rather not wave my computer's naked lubricated little bottom around on the internet when its just another couple dozen megs and about an hour total to upgrade it from stock install. On the off chance that firefox becomes a liability... I have a fully updated working browser as backup... even if it never does actually register and Bing slaps me in the face every thirty seconds.

That's why microsoft was going crosseyed over the EU lawsuit... Europe wanted to have the option to not use the operating system included in Windows.

Surprised? They have import laws concerning fruits that don't exist and several enforceable standards for bottled water that contradict each other.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,954 Posts
I wouldn't turn it off. It's sometimes still needed or used by certain applications.

Y'know, I think Steam might be one of them but I'm not sure. However, I learned the hard way that Outlook 2003 requires IE.

·
Breaker of Video Cards
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well if theres no real benefits to disabling it, then may as well leave it on. I was more curious if it was going to benefit me at all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts