Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After playing with windows 7's power options i was able to make it so that no matter what stress is applied i would always be at 800mhz(CnQ enabled). But that gives me horrible FPS in Counter-strike(which is single-core dependant).

So i thought of this: Disable 2 or 3 cores so that they will not be active at all and just have one at 3,2Ghz running(may even oc haha). It is one thing to have 4 cores running at 3,2Ghz and it is another to have 1 or 2 at 3,2Ghz running less hot at least.
Is it possible with the current hardware and software i have?

P.S
Sig!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
A lot of motherboards have an option to disable cores in the bios.

But why? Cool n Quiet is already saving a ton of power, and you can always undervolt.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can, but i just don't want to generate heat, and it is a fact that with my daily use i actually do not even need all the 4 cores. And i want to be able to play a game for once without the max tcase and max tjunction temps getting high(before i buy a new cooler).
But i only thought of this idea just now

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
If you are using stock voltage + CnQ on stock cooling and your temperatures are still too high, then there is something seriously wrong.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's okay with cnq

Anyway, has someone done something like this and can i do it with my mobo?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've been investigating the underclock ability of these chips without any luck :| I would suggest a nice 2000rpm pull in the rear and a nice cooler with a push feature to the rear exhaust. Glad to see the CnQ worked out for you as that was one of my options in the summer when my cores became warm during gaming.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So are you saying that i can't turn off specific cores on this particular cpu/mobo?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The CPU is capable of it.

You'll have to search through your bios to see if there is an option for it.

If you aren't using the latest bios, you can flash to the newer one to see if they added in the functionality.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Current bios(F3) does not seem to have this kind of feature, and i am pretty certain a newer one won't

1 - 9 of 9 Posts