Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of Steamroller (Kaveri / Godavari) based APU owners have noticed that the CPU frequency drops immediately (below the advertized base frequency) once the iGPU is being utilized. This behavior has nothing to do with reaching or exceeding the TDP limits, but it is infact a normal feature of the power management. This feature is called "GeAPM" or "GPU Efficient Application Power Management".

While the performance impact from having GeAPM enabled is in most cases anything between negligible and non-existent, there are certain scenarios where having "GeAPM" enabled actually does deteriorate the performance. Workloads (single or multiple) which is able to fully utilize both of the CPU cores and the iGPU simultaneously usually show at least some improvement when GeAPM is turned off, since the CPU is allowed constantly to operate at it´s base frequency (unless limited by the TDP). For example A10-7850K or 7870K will operate at 3.7GHz and 3.9GHz instead of 3.0GHz when GeAPM is turned off. The largest difference I´ve personally been able to achieve was when I ran GPUPI (GPU) and Cinebench R15 simultaneously. With GeAPM enabled the Cinebench score jumped between 282 - 297 points and with GeAPM disabled the result increased to 317-326 points.

In short: It is not a big deal, but I decided to make it available in case it bothers someone.

Here are the first two bioses, for ASUS Crossblade Ranger and A88X PRO. The rest of ASUS models will follow at some point, but for now releasing the bioses for other ASUS models is impossible. ASUS bioses are delivered in a signed capsule, so when they are modified the signature will no longer match. Without the use of SPI programmer (or USB Flashback) there is no way to update the modified ROMs. These first two boards are equipped with USB Flashback, so they can be updated. Just use the normal USB Flashback procedure with the supplied file.

ASRock, Gigabyte and MSI bioses will follow once I´ve checked if there is any security measures used which I need to take into account. I´ve got ASRock and Gigabyte boards I can test with, but zero MSI boards. Therefore I will prioritize ASRock and Gigabyte initially.

To check if GeAPM is disabled, open GPU-Z and check the VBIOS version.

Do note that I promise exactly ZERO performance improvements with this fix. I´l just guarantee that from now on the CPU won´t be throttled down, immediately once the iGPU is utilized (unless TDP limited). The rest of the power management works exactly the same way as before.

These bios builds are the newest, native Steamroller (AGESA) targeting builds.

ASRock

Note: Use "Instant Flash" to update.

Fatal1ty FM2A88X Killer+ 2.2 (Kaveri)

Fatal1ty FM2A88X Killer+ 2.3 (Godavari)

FM2A88X Extreme4+ 2.5 (Kaveri)

FM2A88X Extreme4+ 2.6 (Godavari)

FM2A88XM Extreme4+ 2.9 (Carrizo)

FM2A88X Extreme6+ 3.3D (Kaveri)

FM2A88X Extreme6+ 3.7 (Godavari)

FM2A88X-ITX+ 2.6 (Kaveri)

FM2A88X-ITX+ 3.0 (Godavari)

ASUS

Note: Use USB Flashback

ASUS A88X PRO 1703 (Kaveri)

ASUS A88X PRO 2001 (Godavari)

ASUS Crossblade Ranger 0903 (Kaveri)

ASUS Crossblade Ranger 1201 (Godavari)

Note: Use Ez Flash 2

ASUS A88X-GAMER 1101 (Godavari)

ASUS A88XM-A 2402 (Godavari)

ASUS A88XM-E 1401 (Godavari)

ASUS A88XM-PLUS 2401 (Godavari)

ASUS A88X-PLUS 2501 (Godavari)

Gigabyte

Note: Use Q-Flash in bios

G1 Sniper F8 (Kaveri)

G1 Sniper F10 (Godavari)

F2A88X-UP4 F6 (Kaveri)

F2A88X-UP4 F7 (Godavari)

F2A88XN-WIFI F4 (Kaveri)

F2A88XN-WIFI F5 (Godavari)

MSI

A88XI AC 1.6 (Kaveri)

A88XI AC V2 2.1 (Godavari)

A88X-G45 GAMING 1.6 (Godavari)

A88XM GAMING 1.5 (Godavari)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Nice findings, thanks for sharing.

I have one AMD APU E1 6010 R2 (lenovo G50-45), no heat, no fan noise, fast at just 1.35Ghz and 10W at full load. I just love it !

thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
That's pretty cool. With my ancient i5 and 420m Nvidia GPU, I'd love to disable the integrated graphics from inlet but NOTHING will ever work. I've always looked at bios modding for laptops or simply changing the behavior of the GPU and how it interacts with the CPU/dedicated GPU etc. Nice work! You got much farther than I ever did.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
awesome. Can you add last one for Crossblade Ranger? Its 1701 now...

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlanK3r View Post

awesome. Can you add last one for Crossblade Ranger? Its 1701 now...
I wouldn´t recommend it, since it uses Carrizo AGESA. While the AGESA itself is backwards compatible (CarrizoPI = Carrizo, Godavari, Kaveri, Richland, Trinity support), the implementation from the ODM side might not be (quite often the case). That´s why I recommend to use the native AGESA version for your chip (Godavari = GodavariPI, Kaveri = KaveriPI, etc).

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Ah, OK for explanation
smile.gif
Now its clear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2 FlanK3r, The Stilt
Guys, I have one small question for you. I use 7850k + ga-f2a88xn-wifi with IGP overclocked to 1108MHz.
While using GPGPU software like luxmark/сlbench/somecoin miner the IGP frequency stay at 1108.
If I start some 3D games or Catzilla benchmark, the IGP frequency starts to bounce between ~960-1108. According to hwinfo64, this happens when NB amps go over 42A (AFAIR, may be 42 Watts).
Any chance to do something with that?

And yeah, thanks a lot, Stilt. No more amdmsrtweaker for me. It messes with CnQ badly on my system, causing one module to stay at minimal freq.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How are the VRM2 temperatures (HWInfo) when that happens? It´s been so long since I´ve used these chips, so I don´t really recall what kind of protections they had.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by del42sa View Post

I am still waiting for Asrock bioses (extreme6, Fatal1ty)
ASRock bioses are capsule wrapped too, so I need to get them fixed before I release them
mad.gif

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for mods,they will come in handy
thumb.gif

p.s why modified A88X PRO 2001 when there is a newer versions-A88X-PRO BIOS 2103,A88X-PRO BIOS 2301,A88X-PRO BIOS 2502?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Its the same answer what I got.These latest Bios are optimized for Carizzo chips and not for Kaveri/Godavari

·
Registered
17 Posts
FlanK3r whence there optimization for Carrizo if it will not be on fm2+ including this mb asus a88x-pro?

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Carrizo based Athlons will be available for FM2+. They are exactly the same thing as normal Carrizos, however the iGPU has been disabled permanently. Carrizo APUs meanwhile will only be available for FP4 (mobile) and AM4.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

Carrizo based Athlons will be available for FM2+. They are exactly the same thing as normal Carrizos, however the iGPU has been disabled permanently. Carrizo APUs meanwhile will only be available for FP4 (mobile) and AM4.
Stilt, how will the Carrizo based Athlons perform vs the 860K?

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The fastest model of Carrizo Athlons should be slightly faster on average than the 860K. The only issue is that the 860K can be overclocker whereas the Carrizo Athlons cannot. Or you can overclock them, but it isn´t exactly smart since you have to increase the BCLK. They are locked.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

The fastest model of Carrizo Athlons should be slightly faster on average than the 860K. The only issue is that the 860K can be overclocker whereas the Carrizo Athlons cannot. Or you can overclock them, but it isn´t exactly smart since you have to increase the BCLK. They are locked.
Then I am going to have to pass. I still would probably pick up an 870K or 880K if they ever see the light of day in North America.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Tried this on my Gigabyte A88XN with a 7850K. I had to raise my voltage offset for the CPU because the default changed from the previous F5 bios. Working great so far, like you said stilt I didn't notice much difference in benchmarks. Maybe a tad higher on the CPU and combined tests in 3dmark 11 and firestrike. I will try it out on games when I get a chance. I'm thinking it will help out playing Grid. This rig is my HTPC so the wife and I are watching a movie on it right now.

Thanks Stilt!
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 116 Posts