Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching information on the web and legitimately couldn't find any answer to this.

What happens if I force VSYNC OFF through AMD Crimson Drivers but then turn it on in the games I play? It does cap the game FPS from 200 to 144FPS when enabling VSYNC ON In-Game even when its disabled through Drivers, because of this it isn't really "Working" as in synchronizing frames and its just capping the FPS with no extra latency at all, right?

I have a FreeSync 144Hz monitor, since AMD's Frame Rate Target Control is very jumpy I was wondering if this would be a better way to cap the game FPS without adding the extra latency from VSYNC so FreeSync can be working 100% of the time without ever letting VSYNC take control.

So what does really happen when I enable VSYNC IN-GAME when its disabled through drivers? Does it caps the FPS but doesn't really "work" as in Synchronizing Frames? Or does it fully work meaning that forcing it off through drivers does nothing?

This is eating me away
mad.gif

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Driver level Vsync control is for OpenGL only. To cap your FPS without using Vsync, use an FPS limiter such as MSI Afterburner's RTSS or AMD's FRCT. Don't use FRCT if you have CFX, as it adds massive amounts of input lag.

So, you'll want FreeSync ON + Vsync in-game OFF + 3rd party FPS limiter = No teraing, No lag.

It's as simple as that.
smile.gif

Enjoy!

• Rep+
Reactions: Dargonplay

·
Banned
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

Driver level Vsync control is for OpenGL only. To cap your FPS without using Vsync, use an FPS limiter such as MSI Afterburner's RTSS or AMD's FRCT. Don't use FRCT if you have CFX, as it adds massive amounts of input lag.

So, you'll want FreeSync ON + Vsync in-game OFF + 3rd party FPS limiter = No teraing, No lag.

It's as simple as that.
smile.gif

Enjoy!
Thank you a lot, didn't know that about Driver Level Vsync control being OpenGL only, it explains a lot!.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

It's as simple as that.
smile.gif

Enjoy!
Definitely right about the crossfire frtc latency. The thing is with only RTSS and v sync off you will still get tearing (only horizontal). Its a small fraction of the amount of tearing you get with freesync off, but still happens none the less.

For me ive found the best results to be frtc @ 59hz combined with rtss @ 60hz (60hz 4k 40-60hz freesync). This method eliviates the latency, while still allowing freesync to work. The only downside is you still get a rare horizontal tear. Though not nearly as much as freesync off or just using rtss to limit frames

1 - 4 of 4 Posts