Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe many people have the same problem that when they move their console while there is disc spinning in there, it gets the disc scratched by the drive and gg.....there goes your game disc with a huge scratch. So, I happened to be one of those who moved the console while playing games and my disc got this scratch. I went to game crazy today and have them buff my disc for me, after twice of buffing, half of the scratches were gone( it was a circle, now its a semi-circle)....so I was quite satisfy with the result and go home to continue playing my game. it happens at the end of the game where I was watching ending and it shows up that xbox cant read the disc. I wonder if the disc like that is broken and not playable anymore? should I go buff it again to see if I can get rid of that half of the scratch? if I install the game onto the hard drive...does it work?

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
Once it's damaged the buffing technique will only remove the top layer of scratching. You need to stop moving your console.

The only way is to get it replaced or buy a new one. Those buffers are pathetic.

·
Registered
704 Posts
adam780930, might as well get that last bit buffed til you can't see the semi circle. After that I would make sure your console is where you want it before you start your games and only move it when it's off. In the disc's current state, it might work from the HDD, but that's not something you want to have to rely on.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the answers guys, they are good suggestions.

btw, about how many times is it safe to buff before the buffing is gonna reach the sector where the disc has its data?

·
Registered
86 Posts
It seems that they buffed out the program writing to the end of the game lol. Im really sorry to hear about this, but I would just go out and buy it again and be more carefull next time.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by adam780930 View Post
thanks for the answers guys, they are good suggestions.

btw, about how many times is it safe to buff before the buffing is gonna reach the sector where the disc has its data?
If pressed DVD9's are similar in construction to recordable DVD9's, then shaving halfway through the disc is where you'll encounter problems. DVD5's and CD's.. you'd have to shave through the whole disc

Maybe try one or two more buffs.. I would think it would be safe, but use your own judgement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon Tortise View Post
It seems that they buffed out the program writing to the end of the game lol. Im really sorry to hear about this, but I would just go out and buy it again and be more carefull next time.
Nah, there's still a half circle scratch on the disk. More than likely, that's the cause of the problem.. Not buffing it too far. Though eventually that problem could arise..

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Trust me just get it buffed again. I Had a 360 game which was crazy scratched, i took it to gamestation and they put it through the buffer 4 times and the huge big scratches were pretty much gone, just very faint lines were left but the game worked fine after that, prior to this it just wouldn't work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you hold up the CD to a light source and can see light through the scratch it can't be buffed. Otherwise your good man, sometimes the buffers are crap and you need to do it several times. I used to freak when my CD's got that ring, now its no big deal i just put them through my $15 dollar buff (totally worth it)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
If you have a major problem with scratching many discs might want to invest in one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Innova...p_ob_e_title_0
I use a hand cranked one to quickly buff the games I am trading in to GameStop and a local place called MediaXchange. I have had good luck doing this as they charge $1 for cleaning for anything on the disc even if it is just a fingerprint.

·
Initializing...
23,796 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
It won't let you install it to your hard drive if the disc is unplayable normally. Im hoping to try this tomorrow :
http://www.instructables.com/id/Home...ALLSTEPS#step2

Its a guide to buff your discs to get rid of scratches. I don't really recommend it seeing as i didn't try it yet, but since I got my guitar hero world tour as a gift and I didn't get the disc scratch warranty from gamestop, im going to try it. You can try it if you want.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts