Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
On April 6, 1580, a magnitude 5.5 earthquake centered under the Strait of Dover rattled England and sent a seismic jolt through London, 86 miles away. Two people were killed in the shaking.

Quote:

Now seismologists say the great city is overdue for another quake. Same place, same magnitude. But this time, much more damage.Earthquakes like to strike the same place over and over again. Before the 1580 earthquake, another similar tremor shook the area in 1382. Scientists like Roger Musson, a seismologist at the British Geological Survey, study these historical events to better understand what might happen in the future.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/big-...or-london.html

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,837 Posts
Oh well, I did like London.

·
Registered
750 Posts
does this mean because we havnt had a volcano in indiana that we are due for one? well then u gotta think about hurricanes too... we havnt had one ever we are due for one of those too

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by melantha View Post
does this mean because we havnt had a volcano in indiana that we are due for one? well then u gotta think about hurricanes too... we havnt had one ever we are due for one of those too
They can measure when an earthquake is due because large plates like to push against each other and not give way until alot of pressure has built up, and if it takes ~200 years for this pressure to build, then yes, earthquakes can be excepted at a certain period of time.

What I wonder is, why Londen? Its not near the edge of a plate is it?

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
I thought this has been known for years.. you know, the "big" one coming on 12/21/12

·
Premium Member
11,201 Posts
To be honest, an earthquake in London might just speed up natural selection a bit.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
this is kinda wierd, because if you look at this map of tectonic plates, UK so no where near one..

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...w=1366&bih=643

if there was a earthquake near by, we would feel it, but wouldn't do enough to kill anyone, im guessing the only reason why 2 people died when the last earthquake struck was because back on those days we had poorly built homes..

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
Oh hi,

http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

Pfft 5.5. And yes, we're still getting the occasional aftershocks, 19 days past the main earthquake. London's greatest danger tbh is flooding.

·
Premium Member
8,509 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xXjay247Xx View Post
this is kinda wierd, because if you look at this map of tectonic plates, UK so no where near one..

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...w=1366&bih=643

if there was a earthquake near by, we would feel it, but wouldn't do enough to kill anyone, im guessing the only reason why 2 people died when the last earthquake struck was because back on those days we had poorly built homes..
I live no were near tectonic plates but feel after shocks every year or two coming from the ST.Louis area 600miles away and ST.Louis isn't near the tectonic plates...little fault lines I guess.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by melantha View Post
Do you even understand how earthquakes work and why they are predicting this? You fail at being a smarta**.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
London Bridge is falling down...

Excellent!

It's a worrying concept, as I doubt construction in London is built to withstand earthquakes beyond a couple of points on the Richter scale. And some of those Victorian warehouses are falling down on their own, let alone when suffering an earthquake (Battersea power station, anyone?!).

I'd be double-checking my house insurance if I lived in London

1 - 20 of 40 Posts